Cracked Dash Repair 101*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 2013 it's not.

I did this on my dash before I found a crack free one. Sold it for the cost of buying the new one. Attention to detail is important and you should cut a V in the crack before filling. When it cracks there is a slight rising of the old vinyl. That rise is the visible tell of the crack. Cutting the groove in a V helps minimize that. I also used the black silicone in a tube from home Depot. Doing multiple layered passes of the fill was the best result, VS trying to fill the whole thing in one pass.

Comment

anyone know a good way or tips to put it back in without damaging it?

that shiz is a B----..
      Transaction Feedback
      Various E30 Parts for Sale!
      Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
      -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
      -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

Nice job dude..I will be trying this, I have a spare cracked dash in my garage:D

Sent from my GS4 Active
        '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
        '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by ScottSneed View Post
          anyone know a good way or tips to put it back in without damaging it?

that shiz is a B----..
          Remove the steering wheel. I've never had an issue installing or removing a dash except for airbag cars. Them is stupid.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
            Remove the steering wheel. I've never had an issue installing or removing a dash except for airbag cars. Them is stupid.
            It's off, just hate how the dash flexes as I'm trying to put it in :/
            Transaction Feedback

Current Fleet:
            -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS

Comment

Why not take off the old vinyl film and re wrap it with new vinyl film after the repairs are done?
              sigpic

Comment

Cracked Dash Repair 101*

Figured it out , removing the windshield switches and cover helped out a lot!
                Last edited by ScottSneed; 09-20-2013, 12:48 AM.
                Transaction Feedback

Current Fleet:
                -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS

Comment

Could someone explain to me what he exactly means by "cutting a v in the crack"?

Comment

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
                    Could someone explain to me what he exactly means by "cutting a v in the crack"?
                    When the dash cracks and splits, each side of the crack kinda raises and curls up towards the edge of the opening, so you cut along each side at a little bit of an outward angle to remove these raised edges when you fill the voids.
                    Last edited by AwakenNoMore; 10-24-2013, 12:08 AM.
                    1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                    1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                    bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
                      Then the dash cracks and splits, each side of the crack kinda raises and curls up towards the edge of the opening, so you cut along each side at a little bit of an outward angle to remove these raised edges when you fill the voids.
                      So like shave the ridge off the top of the crack?

Comment

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
                        So like shave the ridge off the top of the crack?
                        The crack looks like this before you cut it " | "
                        You want to cut it so it looks like " V "
                        You're simply cutting at an angle on both sides to make a " V - notch"

try this, maybe this will work..

Make a "peace sign" with your fingers (no.. dont go grab your bubbler).. see the angle it makes, that is how you want the crack to look after you cut it.

wide at the top and narrow near the bottom, like a peace sign, a canyon, a "V", the shape of most boats, the feeling when you go cross eyed, what president nixon did in his famous "peace" photo, Stand up and look down at your legs, the letter "A" has the same theory goin on, Perhaps a U with a more severe curve at the bottom, think of a bird when the wings are at the top of their stroke... Think swimming, think women, the letter "X" does this 4 times.

If you need further clarification, you sir have a ViVid and compleX mind.

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                          The crack looks like this before you cut it " | "
                          You want to cut it so it looks like " V "
                          You're simply cutting at an angle on both sides to make a " V - notch"

try this, maybe this will work..

Make a "peace sign" with your fingers (no.. dont go grab your bubbler).. see the angle it makes, that is how you want the crack to look after you cut it.

wide at the top and narrow near the bottom, like a peace sign, a canyon, a "V", the shape of most boats, the feeling when you go cross eyed, what president nixon did in his famous "peace" photo, Stand up and look down at your legs, the letter "A" has the same theory goin on, Perhaps a U with a more severe curve at the bottom, think of a bird when the wings are at the top of their stroke... Think swimming, think women, the letter "X" does this 4 times
                          If you need further clarification, you sir have a ViVid and compleX mind.

Thanks bro! I can see it sll in my mind's eye now!

Comment

I used Qbond. It worked really good. It consist of a glue and really fine dust. Fill the hole and even out with finger, paper, business card, old credit card etc. Then apply the glue (it like crazy glue). You can sand and paint it. Its expensive. Almost $20. Also when using large amounts do it in a ventilated area. It gives off a awful smoking smell.

I have not sanded it. Very light wet sand would remove gloss.

Last edited by GT BMW E30; 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM.

Comment

I'll be trying to dig at a better solution soon. I don't want anything that hardens up, chassis flex will just open them up further over time IMO, something that bonds to edges that has some elasticity to it.

I'll be trying to do a successful pattern match as well.
                              Last edited by the imitator; 09-26-2013, 12:33 AM.

Comment

A buddy gave me a cracked dash for free that I will be trying something different on. I have already ground out a "v" in the cracks with my Dremel and a pointy grinding stone. I have seen on other postings where people used expanding foam to fill the void and shave it flush with a razor blade. Then use SEM bumper repair to skin it and then SEM texture and SEM Landau Black. Here is a link for the inspiration for what I am doing:

I think this would be the best approach to avoid the hard super glue issue mentioned before. Don't get me wrong, the OP did a great job, but I think long term, the expanding foam should be more flexible. I have a local Carquest that has the SEM texture and SEM Landau black in stock. I will take before and after pictures as it progresses and let everyone know how it came out.
                                Last edited by OnMy2ndE30; 12-28-2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X