X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bellerto
    replied
    Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
    It's hard to see but the compressor seems to have a wobble. Do I need to contact the seller?

Because it's a video it won't let me do anything but post the link. Sorry

https://www.flickr.com/photos/946846...posted-public/
    Hi there. I was looking at your video and trying to figure out the parts needed to mount this on the M20 engine.

I believe the black brackets on the screenshot attached are needed and I can probably fabricate these myself. But I was wondering if this is mounted to the OEM bracket that attaches to the engine block listed here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/64521717007/

Any chance you can confirm that is what you are using with the SD508 or post a picture of what you have? EDIT: Actually, this looks like the Sanden bracket on this post: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=358611 that is not easy to find.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bellerto; 07-18-2018, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    Originally posted by cory58 View Post
    Thank you Jeff! Sorry to be a newb, but what do you mean by "pierce the new fins" on a replacement evaporator?

Cory
    The evaporator has soft aluminum fins and while there is a guide hole on the heavier steel end plate, the fins themselves do not have holes for the sensor. Its easy to drive something through the fins but the sensor itself is not rigid enough for this task and WILL deflect.

Hence, use a thin screw driver or awl (something with a semblance of a point) o create a straight bore for the sensor. It doesn't have to be a precise fit as the sensor is measuring air temp.

Leave a comment:

• cory58
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
    2. Just above the gas pedal. It's there to deactivate the compressor if the evaporator temp drops below 38. If you replace the evaporator DO NOT use the sensor to pierce the new fins. It is too soft and can deflect which, in my case it did, and blocked the blend door.

Thank you Jeff! Sorry to be a newb, but what do you mean by "pierce the new fins" on a replacement evaporator?

Cory

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    Originally posted by cory58 View Post
    A couple question for those who have done the "full monty" conversion.

1. If I am replacing the expansion valve, how much extra work/hassle is it to replace the evaporator core "while I'm in there?"

2. Where is the evaporator temperature sensor located? What does it do? I don't see it mentioned in conversion threads.

Thanks, Cory
    1. Very little since you've already removed the glove box, disconnected the hoses etc. u less you think it leaks or is badly gunned up, you may want to just flush it.

2. Just above the gas pedal. It's there to deactivate the compressor if the evaporator temp drops below 38. If you replace the evaporator DO NOT use the sensor to pierce the new fins. It is too soft and can deflect which, in my case it did, and blocked the blend door.

Leave a comment:

• cory58
    replied
    A couple question for those who have done the "full monty" conversion.

1. If I am replacing the expansion valve, how much extra work/hassle is it to replace the evaporator core "while I'm in there?"

2. Where is the evaporator temperature sensor located? What does it do? I don't see it mentioned in conversion threads.

Thanks, Cory

Leave a comment:

• bellerto
    replied
    I'm just stating a fact, but....I will look in to making these when we get back from Canada since there is clearly a need.
    Hi Jeff,
    Any chance you can share the details on what exactly needs to be fabricated for this? Im willing to find a machinist to make them and ship them at cost to anyone interested.

Is it just an adapter to fit the compressor onto the OEM tensioner bracket, to the engine mount bracket, or both? Would the adapters be different depending on the r12 compressor in place (Denso, Behr, etc)?

I never imagined it would be such a PITA to replace the compressor on these cars.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• cory58
    replied
    Exactly....and I would never mention that my e30 has ANYTHING from a Prius.

Just sayin :)

Kinda like putting a plaid golf umbrella cover in your E30....???

Leave a comment:

• PDXPeter
    replied

LOL, the Tesla one is only about $200 :D

Leave a comment:

• parkerbink
    replied
    Whats wrong with Priii?

lol

We have a '15 and it's great.

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    Originally posted by PDXPeter View Post
    Maybe. I found you can get an electric pump from a Prius on ebay for $125 or so. The have a potential 30amp draw though and would probably require a larger alternator.

Leave a comment:

• PDXPeter
    replied
    The concept is cool (no pun intended) but at that price it's clearly not for e30s
    Maybe. I found you can get an electric pump from a Prius on ebay for $125 or so. The have a potential 30amp draw though and would probably require a larger alternator.

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    If I was going to replace the pump I would see if I could find an all electric one like this:
    https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...right-for-you/
    The concept is cool (no pun intended) but at that price it's clearly not for e30s

Leave a comment:

• PDXPeter
    replied
    If I was going to replace the pump I would see if I could find an all electric one like this:
    Equip your ride with Radiant Cycles slip on motorcycle exhaust and shorty GP exhaust that combines form and function. Shop all motorcycle parts!

Leave a comment:

• bellerto
    replied
    I thought the existing compressor worked fine as long as you got the correct lubricant for it.
    Based on my understanding, it should be possible to replace the seals and oil to make it work with R-134a. But Im also reading that R12 compressors will not be as efficient in a converted system. Since my current compressor was diagnosed as bad and I need to replace it anyways, it would be ideal if I can get a new R-134a specific compressor.

Unfortunately, I have not found any that I can just bolt on. Im considering getting some adapters fabricated. Im pretty sure I even saw some blueprints for the adapters on one if these threads but now I cant find it.

Leave a comment:

• PDXPeter
    replied
    I thought the existing compressor worked fine as long as you got the correct lubricant for it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X