DIY - Euro Ellipsoid Headlight Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - Euro Ellipsoid Headlight Installation

will a pair of Hella euro smiley headlights work on my '86 325es (currently have sealed beams of course). I've searched and can't seem to find a direct answer to which kinds of headlights will work with different years. I've found a pair with the connections supplied, and was just wondering if it will be a hassle to wire up.

please be patient with my newbdom, i'm only here to learn.

Will Work fine.

Here is a mini writeup I wrote awhile ago to help somebody else with it.

Look at the rear of your headlight assembly. You should have 3 sets of connectors

2 wires for the Running Lights (top of the elip)
    2 wires for the low beam
    2 wires for the high beam.

Next lets look at your bmw stock wiring.

for your high beam you will have 2 wires, those two wires will be spliced into the connector for the new elip high beam.

Do that for each side. got it? okay high beams are done =)

Now lets look at the low beam connectors that are on the car. As you have a 91, you have sealed beams, so you should see a connector that looks like this.

You will see 3 wires that come into this connector, this is because a regular sealed beam low has 2 filaments and a common ground, when you turn on your highbeams the bump switches filaments. This is no longer needed as the H1 bulbs that are inside the euro elip are a single filament.

Looking at the front of the connector as seen above, you will have a brown/black ground wire (I forget the exact color) and 2 other wires. Using a 12V test light, or a voltmeter (if you don't have one...BUY ONE) you will need to determine when 12volts is being sent down this line.

Turn on your cars headlights, and make sure the high beams are OFF, using your test lamp, connect one end to the ground wire on teh connector (black or brown usually) and tap one of the other wires, find the one that turns the test light on, these are the two wires that you will connect to the new low beam elipsoid headlight, the 3rd wire you can simple tie off (make sure its nicely insulated away from anything metal)

Now for the driving lights, you simply splice into your sidemarkers, pretty simple, 2 wires.

Now if you are not getting power, you screwed up somewhere, check your fuses, check your relays, and make sure you didn't pop anything, if you find a bad fuse...replace it.

Also remmeber that the headlights do not work unless the ignition is on, so make sure its set to ignition and not ACC.

any other questions?

Comment

thank you very much for your help!

Comment

this write-up should be a sticky

BTW: thanks for the write-up
        '86 325

Comment

or just move it to faq
          sigpic

Comment

yes...can some one move this to faq since i will need it in a few weeks and that there are lots of questions about it.

e30 wagen: post pics if you can so it can help the e30 community

Comment

Someone should also post how to jump the relay to keep your low beams on with the high beams.

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain."
              R.I.P. Harry Goz aka. Captain Murphy
              "My ride, My ride, she don't beg, steal, cheat, or lie,
              My ride, My ride, and our relationship is classified."

Comment

Is there any way to make the lowbeams a double filament? I like how the low beams stay on when highbeams are on. I guess you can't just splice into the highbeam wiring to keep them on?

'05 Jetta TDI
                '87 325iS: Facelift, Hella Smoked Ellipsoids (RIP)
                '80 320i: 500lbs lighter, Rally/Drifter (SOLD!:( )
                '90 Jetta: Stock Daily Driver (SOLD)

Comment

Just jump pins #30 together from the high to the low beam relays. I used to have a full writeup with pics but I took down my site. Hopefully someday mike abrahams will host it.
                  Im now E30less.
                  sigpic

Comment

perfect thanks.

'05 Jetta TDI

Comment

has anyone found pics of the pin #30 jump?
                      just need to see how it was done.
                      currently my lowbeams turn off when my highs are on...looks kind stupid with the city lights on only.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
                        Just jump pins #30 together from the high to the low beam relays. I used to have a full writeup with pics but I took down my site. Hopefully someday mike abrahams will host it.
                        that's what I did. I stuffed a 16 gauge wire into the pin #30 sockets and crammed the relays on top. I hope they don't die anytime soon though because they are a pain in the ass to get out. as a side benefit your fogs will stay on with your highbeams.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by King Luis
                          has anyone found pics of the pin #30 jump?
                          just need to see how it was done.
                          currently my lowbeams turn off when my highs are on...looks kind stupid with the city lights on only.

thanks.
                          there ya go

30 to 30
                          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the visual. :up:

Comment

Thats a good pic, the spacing it perfect for dropping them back in as well. It also looks like they're drilled, I just used single strand and soldered as close to the relay as possible.

'05 Jetta TDI

Comment

Working...
                              X