• iwantspeed
    replied
    I made a small batch of e36 steering rack spacers
    send me a pm if interested

Leave a comment:

• JPM_MRED_
    replied
    Originally posted by the imitator View Post
    If I want a heavier feel in my z3 rack, couldn't one possibly find a larger diameter pulley, thus less pressure, giving a heavier feel.
    I think you would need to change the pressure relief spring to make a big notice. At nearly anything over idle, a lot of fluid is recirculated through that pressure relief valve...

Leave a comment:

• Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
    I was not wanting to match the e36 softer feel, I wanted to confirm the e46 rack feels heavier as I prefer it.
    to confirm your thoughts

I put a e46m rack in my e36m. It's heavier feeling with e36m pump and I like the heavier feeling.

Leave a comment:

• the imitator
    replied
    If I want a heavier feel in my z3 rack, couldn't one possibly find a larger diameter pulley, thus less pressure, giving a heavier feel.

Leave a comment:

• MC Hammered
    replied
    I was not wanting to match the e36 softer feel, I wanted to confirm the e46 rack feels heavier as I prefer it.

Leave a comment:

• JinormusJ
    replied
    The rack has a larger ratio; if you want to maintain a softer feel as you upgrade your rack, you have to upgrade your power-steering pump aswell.

Leave a comment:

• MC Hammered
    replied
    Has anyone else compared the feel between an e36 vs e46 rack?

I have both and find the e46 rack feels heavier to turn compared to the e36 rack, so I am wondering if the e46 rack is supposed to feel this way or not when driving.

Leave a comment:

• Haystack
    replied
    Just a tip I learned today.. E36 rack, IE steering guibo. Akg kit. I was having a hell of a time getting my knuckle back on the spline. Engine in the car.

I'm by myself.. I stuck a flat head to slightly open the spines on the knuckle, wiggled it on about a quarter of an inch. Once it was on there and straight, I didn't want to use a BFH or block of wood against the entire rack. I figured any sort of force would be absorbed through the guibo or the rest of the knuckle. I removed the drivers side motor mount arm, then grabbed the handle of my jack.

Coated the end of the spline with antisieze, Set the handle right against the knuckle that needed to slide on and gave it a few wacks. Went right on easily. Slid the bolt through the subframe tabs and spacer, no adjustment needed. Once it goes in as far as it can, the holes line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jrobie79
    replied
    yep

Originally posted by Luke318is View Post
    didnt have time to order any hardware, so im going to be making a trip to the hardware store!!

which step uses these?

Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70

is it step 24, bolting the rack back onto the subframe with the short spacers?

Leave a comment:

• Luke318is
    replied
    didnt have time to order any hardware, so im going to be making a trip to the hardware store!!

which step uses these?

Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70

is it step 24, bolting the rack back onto the subframe with the short spacers?

Leave a comment:

• johhntyrouts
    replied
    My guide for E30

Hi mate , my mate had an e30 and so do I . (although I like the e30 rack at the moment, it will. BE getting upgraded)
    He fitted the e36 rack , but another commen one is a z3 rack.
    I believe he just 'made' the standard power steering pipes fit . The pump was the same I think.

You can also look into getting e36 rack spacers , he had silly lock for fairly cheap xD...
    If you want any informaion about Classified WEbsites then you can join us
    Top ten Classified websites

Leave a comment:

• FLG
    replied
    Originally posted by ebox86 View Post
    Do you have to put the spacer on the top of the rack? I installed my spacer on the bottom of the rack to raise it up for clearance of the firewall hole. Does this cause any adverse affects?
    Yes, increased bump steer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• ebox86
    replied
    Do you have to put the spacer on the top of the rack? I installed my spacer on the bottom of the rack to raise it up for clearance of the firewall hole. Does this cause any adverse affects?

Leave a comment:

• Wanganstyle
    replied
    E46 rack is linear; many model e46's got the same part number rack as the Zhp cars.

Z3 rack has less angle than other options; track cars can benefit from more angle; I know it's saved my ass more than once.

We are running a z4 rack in the full race e30; I've ran z3 before and prefer z4. It's the same ratio of turning but has MORE ANGLE. E46m is also a quick ratio rack with more angle than the z3

Leave a comment:

• MC Hammered
    replied
    From the reading I have done the e46 racks are linear, not progressive rate and there is a difference between the regular e46 and the ZHP version.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X