No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pressure doesn't change, you could reuse the same stuff, but I got my new low pressure hoses and reservoir from Blunt for dirt cheap, and it's good to change out the reservoir due to build up in it. Prolongs the life of your new rack. I mean, it failed for a reason, so why not do everything you can to make sure it doesn't fail again? Definitely flush the PS system too.

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
      Just a follow up, ended up using the tie-rod separator to get it to wedge itself off...what a pain in the neck...now I can't wait to slide the thing back on...ugh
      I'm currently stuck trying to get the knuckle off as well, what kind of tie rod separator did you use?

One like this? http://solberg.umd.edu/E30/ball-joint-separator.jpg

Or like this? http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7315A-Univ...gy_auto_text_y

Or a picked fork like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch...ator-1759.html

I've removed the bolts both where the knuckle attaches at the steering column and where it attached at the steering rack and I can't get either side to give, even after I hammered the crap out of a punch in that crevice as recommended in the How To.

Comment

Rather than a punch, try a thick slotted screw driver to open the pinch. You wont hurt the pinch bolt but be careful you dont drive it so as to damage the splines (hence the reason to use a thicker screw driver). Use some PB Blaster as well to loosen and crud
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          Rather than a punch, try a thick slotted screw driver to open the pinch. You wont hurt the pinch bolt but be careful you dont drive it so as to damage the splines (hence the reason to use a thicker screw driver). Use some PB Blaster as well to loosen and crud
          I tried a thick screwdriver as well with no luck, then I went with this punch (really a chisel I guess since it was flat and thick like a flat-head screwdriver) and still nothing. I have been hitting it the last few days with Liquid Wrench in the morning and afternoon so I'll see if that has helped tonight at all. Thanks for the tips, hopefully with the Liquid Wrench and some time it'll finally give and come off.

Comment

Originally posted by kts View Post
            I tried a thick screwdriver as well with no luck, then I went with this punch (really a chisel I guess since it was flat and thick like a flat-head screwdriver) and still nothing. I have been hitting it the last few days with Liquid Wrench in the morning and afternoon so I'll see if that has helped tonight at all. Thanks for the tips, hopefully with the Liquid Wrench and some time it'll finally give and come off.
            I used this bad boy http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch...ator-1759.html

Its wide enough to go around the splines and not damage them, but small enough to wedge it out. A perfect one would be a single wedge like the fork but only one sided. Just be careful of ripping apart the firewall padding, its pretty soft. I had it fully between the FW and knuckle then hammered the fork towards the rear of the car to push it out, it worked eventually.

Your in the same boat as me, I tried a chisel and got that slit opened as much as possible (it was about x2 the size of the slit on the rack) and it wouldn't budge. I looked all over the interwebs for some help and couldn't find anything either....just stick with it, it will come off eventually (took me about 2.5h total of tinkering with it using PB which didn't seem to help too much)
            555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
            '95 BMW e34 525i
            '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
            '92 Range Rover Classic
            '90 Range Rover Classic
            '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
            '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
            '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
            '67 Pontiac LeMans
            '24 Model T Depot Hack
            ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

I used this bad boy http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch...ator-1759.html

Its wide enough to go around the splines and not damage them, but small enough to wedge it out. A perfect one would be a single wedge like the fork but only one sided. Just be careful of ripping apart the firewall padding, its pretty soft. I had it fully between the FW and knuckle then hammered the fork towards the rear of the car to push it out, it worked eventually.

Your in the same boat as me, I tried a chisel and got that slit opened as much as possible (it was about x2 the size of the slit on the rack) and it wouldn't budge. I looked all over the interwebs for some help and couldn't find anything either....just stick with it, it will come off eventually (took me about 2.5h total of tinkering with it using PB which didn't seem to help too much)
              Thanks for the info man! I got to thinking after a pickle fork like that would be the only kind of separator that might possibly fit/work, I don't know what I was thinking about the other ones.

Ugh sounds like I have quite the night ahead of me trying to get that damn thing off. Thanks for the tips and words of encouragement!

Comment

Originally posted by kts View Post
                I'm currently stuck trying to get the knuckle off as well, what kind of tie rod separator did you use?
                I just accomplished this over the weekend. I got the rack off the knuckle with much effort and a pickle fork but couldn't get the knuckle off the input shaft (even with a pickle fork). I sprayed it with penetrating oil but that didn't seem to do anything. Since the fuel lines were so close by I didn't really want to apply heat, but after an hour of struggling to get this thing to move, I *CAREFULLY* applied a bit of heat with my map torch being mindful of the fuel lines and tried again with the pickle fork and it slid forward about 90% of the way after few good reefs. I was able to wiggle it the rest of the way home.

Getting it on was difficult too. I was able to get the knuckle on the rack off the car, but I was only able to wiggle it onto the input shaft a wee bit. After a while of wiggling this bastard and trying to get it onto the shaft all the way I grabbed some wood and a hand sledge. A few decisive whacks on the bottom of the rack where that big ass nut lookin' thing is (Z3 1.9L rack) I was able to drive it home so it lined up in the subframe. I don't recommend doing it this way, but it worked fine for me. My knuckle was pre-modified to work so I'm not sure what to tell you as far as that goes, but there should be many good photos floating around on the way demonstrating what to do there. If I was going to do it again, I'd attach the knuckle to the input shaft at the firewall before thinking about the rack.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by karmatose; 04-01-2013, 06:02 PM.
                "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. " - Han Solo

Comment

Originally posted by karmatose View Post
                  If I was going to do it again, I'd attach the knuckle to the input shaft at the firewall before thinking about the rack.
                  Is there any reason why this DIY suggests to do the rack shaft first rather than the shaft at the firewall? It seems troublesome to get the knuckle over the firewall shaft on after the rack is mounted from previous posts.

Tackling the rest of my job this weekend, want to see if there is a reason people put it on in this order.

Thanks!
                  Last edited by Klug; 04-03-2013, 04:29 PM.
                  555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                  '95 BMW e34 525i
                  '92 Range Rover Classic
                  '90 Range Rover Classic
                  '67 Pontiac LeMans
                  '24 Model T Depot Hack
                  ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

I put the knuckle back on the coloum first and slid the rack onto it from below.
                    Originally posted by codyep3
                    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                    2010 F650gs twin
                    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Is it kosher to use a round file, and file a slot it the e36 steering rack spline, so the e30 knuckle does not sit so damn high?

Comment

Is there any reason why this DIY suggests to do the rack shaft first rather than the shaft at the firewall? It seems troublesome to get the knuckle over the firewall shaft on after the rack is mounted from previous posts.

Tackling the rest of my job this weekend, want to see if there is a reason people put it on in this order.

Thanks!
                        I don't think that it really matters which order you do things, but swinging upwards with a hammer to to drive the knuckle onto the column with the rack attached at the bottom was difficult at best. I'd rather pound on the knuc to get it on the column than the rack.
                        "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. " - Han Solo

Comment

Originally posted by ridingsupreme View Post
                          Was my question too stupid? Lol come on humor me please.
                          No need to swap line bro. If the lines look good and you think they will do okay they are fine. Hardest part is bending them away from the knuckle and getting the bends to adjust to the new inlet outlets of the rack.
                          I used the same hoses and everything worked fine. Then took a large flat head and found pry points to slowly bend the ps hoses to work. Threaded them on and pried a little more to make sure they wouldn't catch the spinning knuckle or anything. Hope that helps.
                          sigpic

Comment

Rock hammer. Worked like a charm in the confined spaces to give it some force to wiggle on and off without screwing things up terribly.
                            sigpic

Comment

Finished up mine today. Ended up using my stock e30 line with mild modification to the rack end of it. I had an e36 line but it was being an absolute pain to bend the ways I needed it to go.

Rack is good, however I replaced my tie rod ends along with the new rack and eye-balled the alignment on them. Boy oh boy, I need to get this to a shop quick.
                              555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                              '95 BMW e34 525i
                              '92 Range Rover Classic
                              '90 Range Rover Classic
                              '67 Pontiac LeMans
                              '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

just did a swap rack swap this weekend. I found the easiest way to get the spline off is to knock it off with a extension ( the knuckle portion that is). THen to get it back on, use a LONG extension and knock it back on from up top of engine bay.
                                Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                                http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X