DIY - Odometer Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^
    Thats the truth. I pulled about 3 sets this day and while 2 sets had perfect teeth, the gears themselves were gummed up for the lubricant I guess and they were all soft and flexible. I knew they weren't going to be worth paying for and then swapping so I just left them.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Wycoco & Eibowow, my odometer has stopped turning so I wanted to tackle this job soon, i'll be doin sometime this month. Good write up
      1986 325e
      http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthre...30#post1832030

Comment

Thanks great write up fixed mine today thanks to you.

Comment

Does anyone have the part numbers for the orange bulbs in the tach? I need to replace mine as well, but am not sure which part to get.. I have like 3-4 different part numbers.

Any help would be appreciated.
          My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
            Well, I found a replacement gear from a guy in Spain on Ebay. $11 w/ shipping. Heck of a better deal than $25 +.
            Is this dude still in business? I contacted him couple of months back, but he never got back to me..

Comment

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
              Does anyone have the part numbers for the orange bulbs in the tach? I need to replace mine as well, but am not sure which part to get.. I have like 3-4 different part numbers.

Doesn't it say what type of bulb is on the back of the dash? Maybe I'm wrong, I'll check again when I put in my aluminum rings.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
              my feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
                Is this dude still in business? I contacted him couple of months back, but he never got back to me..
                I read somewhere that this place had the correct gears.

Comment

^ Would the only 12 tooth gear in the catalog (Part No.: GM0.4-12-19) work as the little brown pita gear that is always bad?

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                  my feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by Nairb View Post

All the e30 ones I've seen use white bulbs with orange covers that clip to the board. There are two bulbs like this. One is on the tach side and one is on the speedometer side. They are the twist mount style like the others on the board but are larger.
                    Hope this helps.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eibowow View Post
                      samething happened to my cluster.

you can buy gears from http://odometergears.com

each gear is $25, there are 4 gears that could be messed up, the only way you would know is if you opened up the cluster to find out which ones have broken teeth and need replacing. But, Jeff is the best small business owner i've ever had the pleasure of working with, he'll bend over backwards to make sure you solve your problem.

or... you could probably buy a working cluster for that much or a littlermore without having to take apart the cluster... and then sell me your SI board.
                      $25 bucks? for gears smaller than a nickle? sheesh, haha

your best bet is going to the pick a part and just buying another cluster.. the swap is really simple, just be really careful..

just open that sucker up and find out which gear(s) are broken..
                      watch movies online

Comment

Thanks again for the write-up did mine recently.

Comment

Just did mine, thanks for the write up. The gears mesh together and when you turn the small gear the odo spins (along with the trip meter), but it doesn't spin when in the car. The speedo works, as do all the other gauges....is the odo on its own little motor or something? What turns the small gear to make it all spin?
                          sigpic
                          -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Sort of off topic.

Car: 87 325ic with 89+ engine/ecu harness and Miller W.A.R. chip.

All's well, but, tachometer does not work.
                            did s.i. batts, swapped in a cluster w/ working tach and nothing.

So, stuck at matching small ecu connectors to small cluster connectors near obc side, colors and plugs are not same., it would really help if some one would post...

a) A pic of cluster's small single connectors attached to green port
                            b) A pic of pre 89 325i ecu harness smaller connectors.

or prehaps is the w.a.r. thing interfering?., I screwd-uo, but where? I'm waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesfused ;)

Mahalo,
                            Frank
                            Last edited by fporro; 10-29-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I cannot get my gauge apart. I took out all the screws shown in that picture including the two nuts. All I have left are the three screws show in the picture but it seems like the bottom of the cluster is stuck together.
                              1992 318ic

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinatedsoap View Post
                                I cannot get my gauge apart. I took out all the screws shown in that picture including the two nuts. All I have left are the three screws show in the picture but it seems like the bottom of the cluster is stuck together.
                                You have to pull the green plug out, as shown below. There are also some clips on the bottom that you have to finagle.

Which brings me to my question, there's a wire in the car that plugs into the green plug, but there are three identical plugs for it to go in, and five that it could possibly fit in. I tried process of elimination but it didn't seem to do anything with any of them while the car was idling. Which one does it go in?

Replaced all my gears, stupid car still won't spin the odo. It works in the dash, guess the motor died. :twisted:
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Working...
                                X