No announcement yet.

DIY - Odometer Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the cruise control signal. You can put it in any of the stack of 3.

Comment

I have just started doing this repair and it seems that the gears that odometergears.com sent me are different than the OE ones. So I can't figure out how to get them to work :/ Even after checking out the instructions on the website. Is it possible they sent me the wrong ones? I am pretty sure I was sent ones for the Motor meter instead of the VDO. I emailed them but it is a friday so I dunno.

My speedometer is a VDO
      The ones shipped were listed as:
      E30 BMW US Spec (SET)
      motometer#1 12
      motometer#2 44x16
      motometer#3 40x22
      motometer#4 35x22

These are the gears I was sent minus the small black one that I already put on the shaft coming from the motor

tops

backs

These are the gears that came out and were broken along with the small black one.

This is what the VDO looks like assembled with the old gears plus the new small black one on the motor shaft

here it is with the two originals that were suppose to be reused

Does all this look right? Or do the new ones look wrong? THanks. I'm stuck :/
      Last edited by darrenforeal; 12-03-2010, 07:50 PM.
      Team Hybrids

Comment

^^^darrenforreal^^^, I can't remember what my Motometer replacement set looked like, but judging from what you posted (especially since it says, "Motometer gear set"), I'd say you were sent gears for a Motometer cluster. The small black gear is the same for both, I believe.

However, do a tooth count on each gear & see if they correspond to your VDO gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Cha Ching View Post
          ^^^darrenforreal^^^, I can't remember what my Motometer replacement set looked like, but judging from what you posted (especially since it says, "Motometer gear set"), I'd say you were sent gears for a Motometer cluster. The small black gear is the same for both, I believe.

However, do a tooth count on each gear & see if they correspond to your VDO gears.
          thanks for the response. They definitely don't correspond and its confusing because it says VDO and Motormeter.

I emailed odometergears and they responded today, which is impressive since it is a Saturday. They said I was sent the motormeter and siad I can send them back and they will send me the right ones. I am impressed with their customer service for sure. Hopefully my pictures will help something doing this project.
          Team Hybrids

Comment

Originally posted by bostonbmw View Post
            I read somewhere that this place had the correct gears.

http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/agora.cgi
            Hate to drag up old posts but do these gears work? the one with the part number GM0.4-12-19

Comment

Originally posted by bostonbmw View Post
              I read somewhere that this place had the correct gears.

http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/agora.cgi

i used to use these, but they are only useful for 12 tooth VDO sets and don't fit perfectly without a spacer. they are the same ones you get from garagistic, they just buy them in bulk so the shipping from china isn't as painful.
              1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
              1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
              1974 2002tii / stock
              2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
                i used to use these, but they are only useful for 12 tooth VDO sets and don't fit perfectly without a spacer. they are the same ones you get from garagistic, they just buy them in bulk so the shipping from china isn't as painful.
                isnt the 12 tooth the same for all the clusters? ive got a motometer.

only problem is that im in South Africa so its MUCH more expensive and MUCH harder to get over here.

either way ive ordered one (85 zar) which is more than double that on the American website ($5). so well see what happens and keep you guys updated.

Comment

i mean the middle gear. there are two different gear sets for VDOs - although most do run 12 tooth.

and the reality is that unless your odo JUST went out, it's grenaded the other two soft gears and you'll more than likely need an entire set. i've taken over a hundred of these apart and have only seen a couple where the other gears were still worth using.
                  1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                  1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                  1974 2002tii / stock
                  2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

hey guys i have recently just replaced all the gears in my speedo and followed the instructions on here, my odometer still doesnt work.. what else could it be?

i have 2 spare speedo's sitting in my room but they are both mph not kmph

is there any way i can swap the whole odometer unit but keep the kmph
                    sigpic

- 1987 325e m20 6cyl manual -

Comment

yeah sure if they are both VDO or motometer you can swop out the whole speedo part, then just swop the "face". you have to take the needle off though so be careful about that.

Comment

Just adding to this. I have noticed that the gears on my instrument cluster have a sort of hard fluid on them. This may be to people gluing them to try to stop them from turning, and they evenntually eat through each other. Or its whatever lubricant that BMW used that dries up.

Comment

Originally posted by Psymon69 View Post
                          yeah sure if they are both VDO or motometer you can swop out the whole speedo part, then just swop the "face". you have to take the needle off though so be careful about that.
                          thankyou for this, finally my odometer MAY work
                          sigpic

- 1987 325e m20 6cyl manual -

Comment

Now that I've conquered this, I think I'll get into fine watchmaking.

-'87 325 - ratbox swap http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...77#post3250277 << Check out my Wanted thread

Comment

I'm getting soon my gears to fix my odometer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shaferbm View Post
                                Now that I've conquered this, I think I'll get into fine watchmaking.
                                I felt the same way after replacing my gears. :D

Anyone else have the "problem" of the odometer/trip working sporadically? I noticed mine works when it's warm out but doesn't when it's cooler.

Weird
                                - '87 Zinno 325is (the daily driver project)[sold]
                                - '03 M3, Imolarot, 6 speed
                                - '11 DGM STI 5-door (the weekend fun machine)

Comment

Working...
                                X