Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
    Please let me know if you think this will work:
    M30 w/ tranny that has old sheet metal console.
    Pic shifter on far LEFT: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=25&fg=05

I replace 8, 9, 10, 12 and instead of 11, I get the 2.5. Would this work?
    Look for my thread when I did a shifter swap in my early car with sheet metal console. The early shift rods use more parts vs. the newer ones. I didn't have to use as many parts.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
      Friend bought the $30 shifter, and quality wasn't bad at all. The way it fit though was weird and unimpressive. You can't buy a B&M shifter for $30.
      How do you like it compared to oem short shifters? There are tons of E30 guys in your area, I'm sure you've driven enough to have a good comparison.

Btw, the Ebay one almost looks like a B&M replica, is that what it's design is based on? Anybody know?

Comment

anyone have issues with the z3-1.9 not going into fifth? I just switched to the aluminum shift carrier and it seems to be hitting the side of the cup preventing it to go into fifth.

should i try to find a shifter with a longer length on the bottom or try bending the shift linkage to make it a shorter length or is there something I'm missing?
        Last edited by bimmerpirate; 07-13-2008, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I am looking at the pic on the first page of the thread comparing the pivot point on each shifter.

I had the Z4 2.5 in the vert and loved it but with this car would like to have something alittle longer on top. Would the would the Z3 2.8/3.0 be the best if I want, the same kind of feel but a longer rod? oooo..boy haha

Comment

i do not know why more people dont get the z3M shifter. It is quick like the 1.8 and short like the z4. I have had all of these now and this is my favorite by far.
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

i got the z4 2.5 and i love it, and cant beat free.

Comment

I just finnished putting in the Z4 2.5 SSK with the short/weighted Z4 ///m knob. It was exactly what I wanted.

COTM

Comment

Quick question: Do shift levers wear out? I am guessing yet but I have a guy by me that upgraded his 2.8 Z3. He is willing to give it to me for $5 but it has just over 100K on it. Yes or no? Or should I look for a certain wear

Thanks

Comment

Another happy camper here....

Refreshed my linkage/bushings last weekend, upgraded to Delrin and a Z3 1.9 shifter. Very nice - would recommend for a DD. Kept the balancer too!
                    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                    '95 525iT
                    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                    '98 Disco 1

Comment

Quick question: Do shift levers wear out? I am guessing yet but I have a guy by me that upgraded his 2.8 Z3. He is willing to give it to me for $5 but it has just over 100K on it. Yes or no? Or should I look for a certain wear

Thanks
                      yes, because the stock selector rod is single sheer, which ovals out the hard plastic "bushing" in the end of the shifter.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So would you say a 100K + shift rod is a failure waiting to happen?..I am just going to buy new, I have done everything else basically new. I guess it was a dumb question, I know theres going to be wear but I didn't know how much would be on a 100K shift lever.
                        Thanks

Comment

So would you say a 100K + shift rod is a failure waiting to happen
                          No. It's not going to fail. At the very most it will be slightly worn. The two ends are surrounded by plastic, which will wear long before the metal.

I always reuse the selector rod when I do my shift linkage rebuilds. My shifters feel great.

Comment

ok guys. eta here what do u recommend??
                            Originally posted by e30e
                            lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

My shifter is just terrible, Its got a lot of slop. when i put it in first i think im going into reverse, and to go into reverse you are hitting up against the counsle. Is this just a bushing issue or do i have to get a whole new shift lever or what?

Any info would be appreciated. Its getting to be annoying.
                              thanks

Comment

Did you replace the bushings when you did your shifter?

Comment

Working...
                                X