Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a brake bias adjustment knob.
    The car has no brake booster and runs dual master cylinders. The knob attaches to a cable that spins the threaded rod actuating both master cylinder.
    It allows me to change my front/rear bias while out on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

I have the z4 3.0 shifter just installed it today but it was very stiff and notchy wanted to know how to clean up the stiffness makes me feel like I didn't install it right
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ckarsonkidd View Post
        I have the z4 3.0 shifter just installed it today but it was very stiff and notchy wanted to know how to clean up the stiffness makes me feel like I didn't install it right
        You're probably so used to the stock "bag of dicks" shift pattern that you think the Z4 is too notchy. Give it a week.
        1989 JDM-Tech 2
        2010 335 D for daily

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
          I have been running my custom shifter and noticed that R and 5th gear engagement is not as smooth as I expected to be. The reason is, like all other short shifters, the extra length on the pivot point make going into R and 5th gear in a arkward angle as illustrated in my previous post.

So, I have come up with this design. It can be fully adjustable because the spherical bearing can be set at any length in its pivot point. making it any throw desired.

[ATTACH]112023[/ATTACH]
          I found an old auction for a similar design from Belgium, but the arm is mounted to the transmission, not the chassis:

Attached Files
          My transaction feedback on r3vlimited :):Clickety click

Comment

That is a very clever setup!!
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

It would be cool to see a video of that setup in action.
              1990 Alpine 325is
              1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

That is exactly what I wanted to do, but dont have the resources like cnc or lathe. I bet it shift like butter.
                sigpic
                327is
                325es
                325es
                318is
                Fiesta ST
                E46 M3

Comment

This design transmits all the engine vibration and noise through the shifter. It would be quite significant, especially with an M42. It would probably rattle a shift knob off pretty quickly.

Originally posted by raudonis View Post
                  I found an old auction for a similar design from Belgium, but the arm is mounted to the transmission, not the chassis:

Comment

On a racecar that doesn't matter so much... for the street it would probably get annoying.
                    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

If the engine is health, it doesn't rattle at all. I am running a daily solid shifter with bronze bushings with no problems except for the extra effort in certain gears.
                      sigpic
                      327is
                      325es
                      325es
                      318is
                      Fiesta ST
                      E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
                        If the engine is health, it doesn't rattle at all. I am running a daily solid shifter with bronze bushings with no problems except for the extra effort in certain gears.
                        My guess is that your solid shifter setup is still attached in the rear at the body, so its not a full transmission mount like this setup. The half body mount still provides some insulation.

The rattle I'm referring to is about vibration. The M20, like most straight 6 engines, are pretty smooth as their design is inherently balanced. 4cyls on the other hand have a harder time with it. The M42 has lots of vibration, especially because it doesnt use balance shafts to counter any of it. I still remember using e28 rubber motor mounts on in my 318is (OEM m42 mounts are liquid-filled and expensive). The vibration was ridiculous and I went back to OEM.

The rubber isolation that BMW and other manufacturers design into shifters is to insulate the cabin from these vibrations. Unfiltered M42 vibrations might actually make the shifter more difficult to use.

Comment

I went through the thread and found conflicting comments on which shifter needs bends or not.

I have a 325ic, and want to get a SSK. Which ones do not need a bend?

Comment

Here's a recent picture I took of all the levers I've personally tried. The only one that required a bend was the Z3-M since it sits the most upright in stock form.

Sorry if the picture is overly large.

From left to right (stock e30, stock e36, e60 545i, and Z3-M w/bend):
                            Last edited by mtech325; 06-09-2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I'm running a early model plate shifter that's been mounted inside the car with a Z3 1.9 shifter rod, the setup feels good but there is one problem, 3rd gear is tricky to find which leads to accidental shifts into 5th occasionally.

I've drawn the conclusion that the reason for this is because the selector rod sits higher
                              in the back due to the fact that the shift lever is mounted higher inside the chassis.

Would this be the reason for 3rd gear being tricky?
                              Last edited by BECKSTER; 06-10-2017, 01:17 PM.
                              1990 Alpine 325is
                              1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                                Here's a recent picture I took of all the levers I've personally tried. The only one that required a bend was the Z3-M since it sits the most upright in stock form.

Sorry if the picture is overly large.

From left to right (stock e30, stock e36, e60 545i, and Z3-M w/bend):
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X