Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victell
    replied
    That old auction is still up and has more pictures of the shifter.

Originally posted by raudonis View Post

I found an old auction for a similar design from Belgium, but the arm is mounted to the transmission, not the chassis:

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
    A forum member helped me via private message. I was blind to the fact that the mount has two holes. So for those also wondering the same - since I couldn’t remember after months - the tabs near the hold for the lever insert into the holes on the carrier mount and then the carrier mount goes into whichever hole it’ll seat nicely into.
    Thanks for sharing the pic. It is stuff like this that is going to help when I finally get my lift back up.

Leave a comment:

• Mastrcruse
    replied
    A forum member helped me via private message. I was blind to the fact that the mount has two holes. So for those also wondering the same - since I couldn’t remember after months - the tabs near the hold for the lever insert into the holes on the carrier mount and then the carrier mount goes into whichever hole it’ll seat nicely into.
    Last edited by Mastrcruse; 12-23-2019, 07:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by HCMW Adam View Post
    [ATTACH]125412[/ATTACH]

Got it pretty much the way I want it. A few dimensions to define still.
    Any reason you couldn't use a rod-end at the forward end of the upper link as well?

Also, your design will require more left-to-right displacement than the stock design.

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
    Installed this longer RTD shifter a few weeks ago for my E30 S54 with GS6-37BZ Z4 6 speed:

Super clean interior. Shifter looks great in there.

Leave a comment:

• R3Z3N
    replied
    Installed this longer RTD shifter a few weeks ago for my E30 S54 with GS6-37BZ Z4 6 speed:

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	7200456

Got it pretty much the way I want it. A few dimensions to define still.

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    Originally posted by dsphil View Post
    The shaft is 14.84mm and the pin is 5.96mm. I would use the stock selector joint design to provide some axial movement. That clevis joint connection looks weak.
    The clevis design was a pain. I scoured McMaster-Carr looking for stock industrial parts to accommodate all of the necessary members. The clevis has a 1/4" slot in in it and a 5/16" diameter pin. I wanted to use a 1/2" diameter steel rod for the gear selector rod and this was the only clevis that would remotely fit that area. In my fist model I just drew a block with a slot, hole, and thread. Might make more sense to make that from scratch and not cut on the shaft so much.

I can make a bunch of stuff from scratch and make it look professional. I was really trying to come up with a quick and easy way to implement this to try it out. If it sucks then no big deal. If it seams like a good solution then I will make it again with nice looking parts.

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    What does this gain beyond a lot of shifter motion and vibration?
    I am not going to say that this would be superior, or even a good idea. I was just thinking about what dsphil said about the longer lower shifter length causing misalignment with the gear selector rod. This is what I came up with to keep that rod in the same axis as the transmission internal rod. I was mostly interested if this idea could be implemented in the existing space. After a little hand drawing I decided I think it could work. After that I my mind was going so I modeled it to figure out some more details and constraints.

The front end is mounted to the tranny like stock. The back end is mounted to the trans tunnel like stock. I think the increased vibration will come from not having a dampened shift lever and from not having plastic or rubber bushings at each joint. This could be implemented with stock bushings to retain a little bit of civility.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Is that to reduce missed shifts by reducing the angle at which the shift link meets the transmission shift shaft?

Leave a comment:

• JimmyP
    replied
    This setup below is a copy of an alternate BMW Motorsport design.
    You can find it in the Homologation papers of the E30M3.
    I think it may have been for the later 6 speed cars.

My Prodrive car came with this type of shifter when I bought it.
    I believe at one point my car had a 6 speed, that was long gone by the time I got the car.
    The shifter "carrier" had a welded / fabricated portion that bolted to the back of the transmission somewhat similar to the one pictured.

The Prodrive one was more of a tubing and bent sheet metal fabrication with a spherical bearing that provided the pivot point for the shifter handle but overall intent of the shifter style was very close to the one pictured.
    I reverted my car to a standard BMW Motorsport DTM body mounted shifter when I restored it, but I still have the transmission mounted version in my box of parts.

Originally posted by raudonis View Post
    I found an old auction for a similar design from Belgium, but the arm is mounted to the transmission, not the chassis:

Last edited by JimmyP; 01-03-2019, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    What does this gain beyond a lot of shifter motion and vibration?

Leave a comment:

• dsphil
    replied
    Originally posted by HCMW Adam View Post

I have been messing with this a bit. Got it to where I only have to make two parts from scratch and modify two others.

I have two questions right now. What is the diameter of the gear selector input shaft and the diameter of the pin that goes in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shaft is 14.84mm and the pin is 5.96mm. I would use the stock selector joint design to provide some axial movement. That clevis joint connection looks weak.

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied

I have been messing with this a bit. Got it to where I only have to make two parts from scratch and modify two others.

I have two questions right now. What is the diameter of the gear selector input shaft and the diameter of the pin that goes in it?

Leave a comment:

• HCMW Adam
    replied
    Solid works. I have it for work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X