No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the mz3.net page they discuss disassembling the rods, cutting and shortening them. Do the e30 shift rods have the rubber isolation deal in them? Has anyone done this?

Comment

I have a '90 325i, will I have to bend the rod with the Z3 1.9 kit? How much are just the UUC Delrin bushings? I can't find the info on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddiesWithJesus
        I have a '90 325i, will I have to bend the rod with the Z3 1.9 kit? How much are just the UUC Delrin bushings? I can't find the info on their website.
        No, you shouldn't have to bend the rod.

Just get the factory BMW Bushings.

Kyle
        1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
        DILLIGAF

Comment

X5 Shifter

I finally installed the X5 shifter in my E30. The throw is shortened by about 20% and the height is brought to 7 inches from 5.9 stock. I had to bend the shifter about 30 degrees to make it almost straight. I probably should have gone completely straight to bring the neutral position back a little more. With the shifter installed, the selector rod WILL rub on the vibration dampener. This can be remedied by bending the selector rod appropriately, or removing the vibration dampener.

X5 Shifter Configuration

1989 325i Shifter Configuration

Linkage Rebuild Parts and Part Numbers

Stock 325i Shifter versus X5 Shifter

X5 Shifter 3rd to 4th Throw
          Last edited by DoriftuEvo; 05-18-2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

A few questions. Is the Z4 3.0 lever shorter than stock (in terms of height)? Which shift lever yields the best reduction in throw with the least compromise in shifter height reduction?
            --Will

Comment

That pic of the X5 shifter is mine. I really like it alot. Installation was simple. I think I am going to extend the part below the ball for a shorter throw. You get used to it after a while and a 20% shorter shift doesnt feel so short anymore. From what I remember there was plenty of clearance with the driveshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac
                That pic of the X5 shifter is mine. I really like it alot. Installation was simple. I think I am going to extend the part below the ball for a shorter throw. You get used to it after a while and a 20% shorter shift doesnt feel so short anymore. From what I remember there was plenty of clearance with the driveshaft.
                thanks for this X5 info.......its a nice upgrade to a track car where you actually WANT some lever ht.......so you had no issues w/ driveshaft/vibration damper...I assume your damper is on?.....tia!
                I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck
                  A few questions. Is the Z4 3.0 lever shorter than stock (in terms of height)? Which shift lever yields the best reduction in throw with the least compromise in shifter height reduction?

read this thread, the Z4 3.0 is the shortest of any shifter. But it is so worth it, much better than any other shifter IMO, I've driven stock, which I loved, Z3 1.9, MZ3, and the Z4 3.0.

Mike Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by JoelRKaplan
                    thanks for this X5 info.......its a nice upgrade to a track car where you actually WANT some lever ht.......so you had no issues w/ driveshaft/vibration damper...I assume your damper is on?.....tia!
                    318is has no damper. It will clear though.

Comment

now question, how is the z4 2.5 compared to the 3.0? I've just attempted to install the 3.0 rod and actually broke it, thankfully I got it for cheap. It looks like the linkage for the 2.5 will be a lot shorter so it won't require any bending, but has anyone experienced the difference between those two?

Also the grease you guys are using is lithium grease right or what kind of grease is it?
                      sigpic

Comment

how the heck did you break it?
                        Parts for sale http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=128440
                        Car for sale http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=118679

Comment

Originally posted by christoble
                          how the heck did you break it?
                          You don't even wanna know.
                          sigpic

Comment

i'll take some pics for you guys later :)
                            sigpic

Comment

I forgot to repost my thoughts on my Z3 1.9 lever. Overall I enjoy it. I like how the height is near stock and not down really low. It reduced throw a decent amount but isn't overkill where finding a gear could be difficult on a track. This modification is definitely a fun one! I recommend it to all.

Don't forget to replace all of the bushings while you're doing it.
                              1985 325e - 5000 RPM's of Fury

Comment

Oh man oh man the Z4 2.5 lever made a HUGE difference! Not too notchy at all compared to what I've driven, it's nice to have the click-click feel honestly. I did notice one thing I forgot to consider after installation. The stock shift knob will not fit!

Which one have you guys purchased to make up for the shorter lenght of the rod where the shift knob goes?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X