No announcement yet.

Replacing the E30 Heater Core and Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a working heater core for $50. Email me at emailismynewphone@gmail.com

Adam

Comment

do you have to bleed the coolant system after?

Comment

To anyone replacing any of the heater core stuff
        BUY NEW O-RINGS, even if yours are relatively new

I spent 3 hours and took my heater core out 3 times because it kept leaking; have to wait til Saturday til new O-rings arrive, but the car isn't a daily, so it can afford to sit in shambles for a couple days

Comment

Have a quick question about testing the valve.
          I heard that you can feel the valve opening as you turn the temperature knob up but should it move durning the entire range of the knob or is it an I/0 kind of thing? Trying the fix the GFs heat and the valve only moves during the 7-9 range of the heat control.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Mine only moves in the 4-5 range. If we combine the power of our valves we could take over the world!

Comment

Mine moves right where the red starts (3-4 range); from what I can tell, you can also hear the valve open (it's like a clicking sound)
              If it really irritates you, you might need a new valve. If your looking to fix it up, PM me, I have an extra that I purchased accidentally when I thought my valve was busted

Comment

I get to do this soon, crossing my fingers that it doesnt leak after.

Oh did I mention I dont have a garage and will be doing this with a lovely temperature of about 5 degrees? Challenge accepted
                Youtube channel is up!-->According2Valentine

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30
                Originally posted by J3M93
                This guy delivers, you are a boss

Comment

Where are you all getting the o rings from? Local BMW dealer is out

If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30

Comment

my ex didnt replace her o-rings. she has no problems and it's in the middle of winter. she uses the heat all the time since she weighs 90lbs.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarz3 View Post
                      Where are you all getting the o rings from? Local BMW dealer is out
                      I bought them from Patrick at BMA Auto

About $.35 each or so; you only need 3

Comment

Good DIY. However my coolant light is still goes on from time to time. Doesn't over heat or leak though. Any ideas on what it might be?
                        2001 740i - daily
                        1987 528e - project
                        1987 325e - sold

if u dont like my post click here

Comment

Coolant light is normally a bad coolant sensor

Comment

heat did not work in my car. replaced heater valve with one from junkyard, now i can finally feel warm air.

i didnt replace any of the o-rings and didnt see any leak. all works well so far.

Comment

Just got around to replacing the heater core valve (shoutout to buttchuzz for hooking me up with the parts) and I have a NOOB question.
                              After replacing the valve and reinstalling everything, I bled the system and allowed the car to get to idling temp. I tried my heat and still had nothing, so I walked out to the engine and felt the hoses that go to the core, both were cold. However, as I followed the top hose down it got hotter and hotter.
                              I revved the engine for a few minutes, still no heat, top of hose cold, bottom hot.

Started driving home thinking what I could have missed and about 5 min into my drive I tried my heat and viola, hot as can be. So what do I not understand about how the thermostat or core works?

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarz3 View Post
                                Just got around to replacing the heater core valve (shoutout to buttchuzz for hooking me up with the parts) and I have a NOOB question.
                                After replacing the valve and reinstalling everything, I bled the system and allowed the car to get to idling temp. I tried my heat and still had nothing, so I walked out to the engine and felt the hoses that go to the core, both were cold. However, as I followed the top hose down it got hotter and hotter.
                                I revved the engine for a few minutes, still no heat, top of hose cold, bottom hot.

Started driving home thinking what I could have missed and about 5 min into my drive I tried my heat and viola, hot as can be. So what do I not understand about how the thermostat or core works?
                                Because you didn't wait long enough for your car to warm up. You know how when you start your car on a cold morning the heat doesn't work immediately? It's the same thing.
                                /myguess
                                2001 740i - daily
                                1987 528e - project
                                1987 325e - sold

if u dont like my post click here

Comment

Working...
                                X