DIY - ABS relay repair - Fix that ABS light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by njenkins View Post
    A 30A really? I didn't see any pictures with the actual fuse, just a fuse holder. I mean the fuse is in there to protect other electronics from damage so i worry about putting in too big a fuse and causing more damage.
    my bad, it's just the pin label not 30a
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    ---------------------------------
    89 E30 S52
    ---------------------------------
    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

i need to check my relay out! my ABS light has been on since day one! (of me owning it)

i checked my ABS wheel rings and the sensors, TONS of metallic-type (looks like shattered magnets) on the sensors, and the wheel rings have TONS of crud on them.

i bet all the things together is causing my problem.

Comment

cant pull up this diy. can u repost or pm it to me??
        sigpic

Comment

can it still be the relay if the dash indicator only comes on after you drive 100 feet or so??? i had 3 used but working sensors, the 2 front and 1 for the rear so i swapped them out and replaced the worse looking of the rears and still i get the light.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by long tall eta View Post
            can it still be the relay if the dash indicator only comes on after you drive 100 feet or so??? i had 3 used but working sensors, the 2 front and 1 for the rear so i swapped them out and replaced the worse looking of the rears and still i get the light.
            Did you check the relay to see if the fuse wire is blown? It takes like 2 minutes to check.

I did this fix last week and am loving driving ABS light free.

Comment

cant pull up this diy. can u repost or pm it to me??
              See page 3 of this thread...

Comment

Originally posted by GatoEnFuego View Post
                Did you check the relay to see if the fuse wire is blown? It takes like 2 minutes to check.

I did this fix last week and am loving driving ABS light free.
                thats the wire inside the relay correct? but if that was blown, wouldn't the abs light be on as soon as you turned the key and not after u drive a few hundred feet?
                sigpic

Comment

Not necessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by GatoEnFuego View Post
                    Not necessarily.
                    but it is the wire inside the relay, correct??
                    sigpic

Comment

but it is the wire inside the relay, correct??
                      Dude, all the info is on page 3 with pictures. Yes it's the wire inside the relay.

Comment

FYI For all doin this- I just looked at the alldata wiring diagram and the wire in the relay that blows is only rated for 8amps. Wire it how you'd like but they put a fuse in there for some reason.
                        Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

I have my cluster out doing odo gears and thats when I saw that the PO had a piece of black electrical tape hiding the ABS "always on" light...very clever.

The lower panel is also off and I'll be darned if there's a relay in there to "fix" on the 89 cabrio I just bought.
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

See post number 55 where nmlss2006 says
                            Originally posted by nmlss2006 View Post
                            The abs relais in newer cars is under the plastic cover on the pump assembly in the engine bay.
                            Maybe yours is there.

Comment

Is the relay part #34520005192? Lists for $52 on realoem.

Comment

The fuse is there to protect things. Im my case the zeener diode in the relay everyone is soldering solid, was bad. It was a direct short. So soldering it solid w/o proper diag is A BAD IDEA!!! The zeener is there to handle the reverse polarity spike of the magnetic feilds in the relays that are actually on the pump. Why they did it this way is beyond me. I soldered in the 2 clamping diodes in the pump relays and pulled the smoke/shorted zeener diode outta the relay everyone is soldering solid and everything is happy. In my opinion this is a correct fix. The way most are doin it gives no circuit protection... just my 2 cents
                                Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X