DIY camera mount for stock sport seats: $45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY camera mount for stock sport seats: $45

Here is the JTBv1.1 Camera Mount for E30 sport seats or those with similar spaced headrest posts.

This is the JTBv1.1 because I copied it from Justin B but changed a thing or two... although many of us have either done this before or have had it in our heads already, he was just MY real inspiration to get it done... because I saw the one in his car and it was cool. This is not the most intense DIY, but I felt it would be decent enough to share just because... and I got to take some neat pics of the hardware.

The unit is made as follows:

OSN brand cheap tripod from WalMart (I hate shopping there because last time it was the place to hang out in the front and smoke or be an extreme wigger in a civic and dance like idiots in the parking lot with sideways hats and shitty gangster-bass.) This tripod was easily disassembled to just have the head left over with all pan/tilt functions intact. ($20 model with level)

OSH/Home Depot/Lowes/etc. for other $25 in misc hardware:
    -1" thick aluminum box tube (4' length)
    -1/4" size u-bolts, long enough for thickness of preferred bar (I used 1", while Justin has the 3/4" bar) and headrest tubes
    -wing nuts matching thread of u-bolts
    -lock washers, also matched in size
    -bronze bushing to serve as the post for clamping on the tripod head
    -long bolt to vertically affix bushing near end of bar
    -washer/lockwasher/wingnut for said long bolt

Here is the easy yet most critical part. I wanted the camera as close to the center of the vehicle as possible, so I measured twice and cut/drilled once. Just for kicks, it's 5-7/8" between the centers of the headrest posts and 11" or so from the headrest post to the center of the car.

A drill press is your friend. Drill holes and attach hardware. Done.

OK pics:

Thanks for viewing. Now go make one and then go film some random stuff... or use it as a real racing tool. You decide. I personally just wanna feel like I am filming a Top Gear episode all the time. :P

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
    HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
    **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Not to be a dick, but for that kind of money you can just get one of these bad boys. Nice effort though, it looks good!

Comment

no shipping, I win. :P

Good link though.

If you already have a shitty little tripod laying around, it can nearly cut the price in half or more, btw.

I just really wanted to take the pics with my new lens more than anything, lol.

Comment

I built one just like that about 2 years ago...I like the addition of te bronze bushing to steady the tripod mount. One thing to make it better mount it on the drivers side, the passenger seats usuallly shake a lot more than the drivers seat.
        1989 Cirrus Blau coupe Racing Dynamics wheels and a Volvo Spoiler.

Comment

I like that, also at the same time i feel it could be dangerous if the car got hit in a wreck or something?
          http://www.kingofeurope.net/2010/

Comment

Originally posted by 330SMG View Post
            I built one just like that about 2 years ago...I like the addition of te bronze bushing to steady the tripod mount. One thing to make it better mount it on the drivers side, the passenger seats usuallly shake a lot more than the drivers seat.
            Couldn't you just flip it?

Originally posted by drift View Post
            I like that, also at the same time i feel it could be dangerous if the car got hit in a wreck or something?
            You know, thats the first thing that I thought...I guess thats a risk you take when you go to the track.
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Yes, and I don't think he meant bringing it to the track. I'm sure it would be harmful to hit at the right angle, but any camera mount would be that hangs off like that.

I built mine for like $25 or 30, slightly smaller square tubing and a different tripod head.

Comment

I like the idea of making things myself. I wish i had a better cammera mto mount on somthing like this.
                Nice write up.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, you can flip it. I was thinking of "tying down" the backrest of the seat it is mounted to for stability while in motion.

I also had some leftover box tubing which I made into an OUTSIDE mount. Hehe. I will have to do a demo vid sometime.

Comment

$45? ouch. I'm pretty sure I paid about the same, including shipping for a really nice one..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I thought that was cheap! I guess you guys must have found some seriously great deals or somethin. Well anyhoo...

This DIY is for the, uh, crafty and DIY-it-all crowd, uh,..... yeah. tee hee.

That's all I got.

Comment

i scored. a family friend was cleaning up his storage unit and found a tripod and gave it to me. just unscrewed the top part and presto... i went and bought the stuff to fab up the mount for less than $20 at home depot. il post up some pics when its done, but it will pretty much look the same.

Comment

i just made mine for about 35.

15 for the tripod
                          15 for the box tubing, nut and bolt(i used this instead of the bushing and long bolt/wing nut combo, but the same principle)
                          5 for hardware (u bolts locking washers and wing nuts)

it seemed pretty stable just on the roads by my house but when i get to my dirt route ill record it there.

i just uploaded it and it is still processing as of now but here is the link i have

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

My dad had one of the Cruisecam ones lying around, so I use that for autocrosses and the like. It really is an amazing tool to be able to go back and look at your lap.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

will it support anything heavy though? thats my worries, as i have tried to fab something like this as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X