DIY-brake caliper rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY-brake caliper rebuild

I'm in the process of building an e30 race car. i haven't put up any good tech yet so i thought i'd give it a shot. feel free to read about the build if you'd like.

1. start with a clean work surface

2. clean your bench and lay out your rebuild kit(s)

3. on the rear calipers, remove the retaining ring

3. pull the ring and boot off

4. if you have compressed air, shoot a little into the brake line hole. be careful as the piston will come out pretty quick so stick a rag or a block of wood in between the piston and the caliper so that it doesn't do any damage. if you don't have compressed air, you can use a bike pump with the cone nozzel.

5. after you get the piston out, pull out the inner seal careful not to scratch the wall of the caliper bore.

6. clean out all the nasty stuff with brake clean and a toothbrush (nothing metal, so you don't scratch the walls).

7. so now it's time to put it all back together. soak your inner seals in clean brake fluid.

8. fit the new inner seal in it's slot and then stretch the boot over the piston as here.

9. spread some brake fluid on the piston and bore walls and carefully push the piston back in...you should be able to do it with just your hands...if you get stuck, take it out and try again...don't get frustrated if it takes you a couple of tries.

10. put the retaining ring back on and you're all set.

10. the fronts are a little harder than the rears...pull the boot over the piston like this

11. tuck the boot into the slot in the caliper like this...it's hard...take your time and it helps to lube it all up with brake fluid.

12. push the piston in until the front of the boot slides into it's own slot.
    Last edited by knotcher; 02-27-2018, 10:49 AM.
    '89 325i - racecar
    '91 325i convertible - summer car
    '96 328i - daily driver

nice! tanx

Comment

Nice. Great time to paint calipers or better yet powder coat them.
      sigpic
      New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
      %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

These are Girling calipers correct?

Comment

Originally posted by HugsBmw View Post
          These are Girling calipers correct?
          whatever came on the car...
          '89 325i - racecar
          '96 328i - daily driver

Comment

Girling and BMW OEM are both stock, the Girling calipers are supposed to be better and have the name cast in the top of the caliper.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              Girling and BMW OEM are both stock, the Girling calipers are supposed to be better and have the name cast in the top of the caliper.
              Girling is OE, as is ATE, and there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for their use (early/late, 325e/325i, etc...). Girling and ATE are slightly different for the front. Both have their name cast in the caliper. ATE is preferred among motorsports folks.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Since people who are interested in this DIY (including me) will be interested in this question:

Where is the best place to buy the rebuild kits to facilitate this project?
                Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Caliper in this rebuild are Ate and Girling

Front and rears, first set of pics are Ate rears, second set is Girling fronts.

Comment

rmeuropeon.com or bavauto.com

Comment

my pistons seem to have gunky grease on the cylinder walls, theres no need to reapply grease?

Comment

Originally posted by movementality View Post
                        my pistons seem to have gunky grease on the cylinder walls, theres no need to reapply grease?
                        as far as i know, there shouldn't be any grease on your pistons at all...it's likely that gunk is just gunk, not grease. the brake fluid should be all the lube you need.

now the caliper sliders...that's a different story, they need grease.
                        '89 325i - racecar
                        '96 328i - daily driver

Comment

with #7, you mean brake fluid, not brake oil, right? I feel like thats a dumb question, lol.
                          1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                          1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                          1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                          1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                          1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                          I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Originally posted by Atreus View Post
                            with #7, you mean brake fluid, not brake oil, right? I feel like thats a dumb question, lol.
                            haha...yeah, i edited it.
                            '89 325i - racecar
                            '96 328i - daily driver

Comment

Working...
                            X