Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Speed Swap Wiring - Plug & play w/ cruise control !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, it worked. Auto light went off, but check engine remained... I'm gonna investigate that later, though :).

I have another question for you guys, so please bear with me on this one: got the OE wiring for the backup switch on the manual gearbox, but:
    1) how do I get it into the interior compartment ? is it through the gearlever rubber sleeve ? If so, how, that thing has a very tiny hole, the wiring has connections on already - i don't think it's supposed to get them off, route it through the rubber sleeve and the re-fit the connections ?

This is the hole in the shifter sleeve: https://ibb.co/TLyNFnt
    This is the wiring: https://ibb.co/6Nz6Ny1

If not, is there another hole I can route it through and haven't noticed yet ?

2) i've found a wiring with matching connector inside the dash (long white connector), is that the proper connection for the backup switch on the gearbox ?

Comment

If your shift boot is still pliable, you can use the tips of needle nose pliers to stretch open the harness hole in the boot. The backup light harness plug will pass through. If your hoot is old and crusty, this method may tear it. Use a pin tool to remove the plastic plug, pass wires through boot and then reinstall plug.

Comment

Reviving this a little as I (still) have a similar problem to Xelo:
        I also have a euro car with the "sport selector" knob thing, no cruise control.
        The car runs and drives fine, but the Check Engine light is constantly on (in the picture Xelo posted, it's the one with the exclamation mark) in it.
        I unplug the transmission conputer in the trunk, it turns off, but then it doesn't even come on when i get in the car and put the key in the "ON" position. The other interesting thing is that the stomp test does not work, ever.

Is there some other wiring we have to take care of?
        Other thing to note is that these cars have a 6 pin throttle position sensor, not the usual 3 pin.
        1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
        1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
        1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
        My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

The reverse light is not working so I took the center console out and this is what I see

1 is both, GREEN/BLACK wire and BLUE/YELLOW wire spliced and goes to wire from manual
          2 is BLUE/WHITE going to another wire from manual

There is no connector to reconnect so I'm totally lost

Can anyone please help me?
          Last edited by mnmnmmm_; 10-24-2020, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmnmmm_ View Post
            Hi guys, I got a 1991 Japan import M tech with auto to 5 spd swap car with sport selector, no cruise control
            The reverse light is not working so I took the center console out and this is what I see

1 is both, GREEN/BLACK wire and BLUE/YELLOW wire spliced and goes to wire from manual
            2 is BLUE/WHITE going to another wire from manual

There is no connector to reconnect so I'm totally lost
            Since this is a Japan import I don't think there is much info out there

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you!
            I've got a japan import too - let me to go take a picture of the wiring underneath the console for you after work! Will update this post.

EDIT:
            Well I colossally dropped the ball here, sorry. There should be the manual plug for the reverse light tucked up in there. Mine was taped up to the harness so i had to dig a little to find it but it was there. after that just plug and play. Did you follow the harness a little further under the carpet, towards the front of the car? It should be there.
            Last edited by Sea Aych; 04-30-2021, 11:14 AM.
            1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
            1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
            1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
            My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

All pretty straightforward, with one exception for me. I have an early model- the black/yellow wire plugged into a connector with 3 black yellows. Do I just put the that connector with 3 black yellows into the ignition plug?

Comment

Came across my old thread backup in PDF format. I have it saved it cold storage with my PC backup.
                It's over the forum upload size currently.

If the pictures ever break in the original post, please contact me for the file!

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                  Came across my old thread backup in PDF format. I have it saved it cold storage with my PC backup.
                  It's over the forum upload size currently.

If the pictures ever break in the original post, please contact me for the file!
                  Just link it for safety..

Anyway, I followed the thread for my 5 spd swap. All is working well. Thank you!
                  1984 318i Coupe 66k

Comment

Originally posted by randomInteger View Post
                    Just link it for safety..
                    Anyway, I followed the thread for my 5 spd swap. All is working well. Thank you!
                    I need to upload it somewhere to create a link...

Comment

Working...
                    X