Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Vader-e36 seat install

Here is how I did my swap.

First off to put the wider e36 seat in you have to modify the lower seat belt rod. If not, it causes the seat to rub on the center console. I cut 6.25 inches out of rods center section and welded them back together, so that I could get full seat travel. Then I re-drilled holes for the lower bolt and made up a plate with a nut welded to it to distribute the load in case of an accident. (The nut is a 11mm x 1.25 pitch, I looked everywhere trying to find one, then it turns out it is exactly the same as a 7/16-fine thread)

Buy the way all the plate I used was 1/8 thick, would not use anything thinner.

Now for the seat adapter plates. I welded a 1.25 inch bolt to the bottom of the plate (not required but makes install much easier). In my drawings note the hole for the original bolt location. The drawings are for the drivers side for the passengers side you just need to flip the rear plates over because they are the mirror image.

Picture of drivers plates:

Drawing of drivers plates, note that I rounded the corners of the plates so that they did not dig into the carpet and also the rear plate near the console is very rounded so the the rear passenger doesn't jab their foot on the plate edge. The front door side plate is rounded to clearance the molded shape in the carpet. (all measurements in mm)

Drawings:

Here is a shot of the passenger plates installed, I put a few washers under the plates on the original mounting holes to compensate for the bolt head on the back of the plate so that they sat flush.

You can see with the seat installed the outer slider is almost touching the inner rocker and the seat on the console side does not rub.

And one last shot of seat installed.

Good luck

wow, very impressive, this should be sticky and DIY. this is such a clean install.

Comment

Yes!
      No more e30s for me.
      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
      91 BMW 325i [sold]
      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

damn that looks good.

R the measurements in mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Hartge_H27
          damn that looks good.

R the measurements in mm?
          Yes, it's stated in the write up.

Comment

damn, I didn't know we had another local. why weren't you at the bimmer meet a few months ago? are you on nyspeed?

btw I have a mint set of manual non heated black leather vaders for sale if anyone wants them.
            Originally posted by blunt
            can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Originally posted by ColdAccord
              damn, I didn't know we had another local. why weren't you at the bimmer meet a few months ago? are you on nyspeed?

btw I have a mint set of manual non heated black leather vaders for sale if anyone wants them.
              I'd want them but I'm sure they're too expensive, especially after shipping.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
              ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by ColdAccord

Was not aware of the meet..

Have account on nyspeed, but rarely visit, too much adolescent drama.

I am also on dubsinthebuff as vw to bimmer. ( in fact my sig picture I took off the picture of the day thread from there, picture taken at meet late summer at Shamus' house) Also, I believe Chris D. knows you, he was telling me about a guy that is selling his touring...

Comment

Nice drawings - but the mounts are going to "swivel" in an accident.

With that said - I won't even pretend to say how much or even if it is dangerous. I guess you'd need a crash test dummy and the NTSB to find that out. Know what I mean?
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I do know what you mean. I tried to stop the swivel effect particularly with the rear plate near the door. there is a long flat edge that would bear it self along the inner rocker area. Also the seat slider mechanism is right near the inside of the rocker and it would prevent the seat from going very far at all.

However, use the design at your own risk. The seat and belt areas are an important restraint areas in an accident. I am not a certified engineer and have not crash tested this design!

Comment

I know welds are strong but cutting and welding the lower seat belt rod scares me....

Comment

Oh. Nice write-up though. What about adding another hole to each bracket to prevent rotation?

Comment

or just connect the 2 mounts on each side so that you have to bars running one on each side of the seat. this would prevent any movement of the mounts. the way you did the bolts to mount to the seat down is exactly what i have been telling every1 who asks how to install vaders to do, just with 2 large brackets instead of 4...
                          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

willing to make these brackets for me. i'd be willing to pay. i ndont have access to a cnc machine or anyhting along the lines of what i would need to make them

Comment

At the moment no. I have so many things going on I don't have time to finish the things I have started.

Comment

Working...
                              X