AC Schnitzer: Front: 20mm Rear: 16mm
    Eibach: Front: 20mm Rear: 16mm
    Suspension Techniques: Front: 22mm Rear: 19mm
    Ireland Engineering (adjustable): Front: 25mm Rear: 22mm
    H&R (adjustable): Front: 22mm Rear: 18mm
    Racing Dynamics Early Style (adjustable): Front: 22mm Rear: 16mm
    Racing Dynamics Late Style (adjustable): Front: 22mm Rear: 19mm
    M-Technik: Front: 20mm Rear: 14.5mm

If you have more info to add, post here and i will update the faq.

Enjoy.

I'm curious what the point of all the 20mm aftermarket bars are? Are they made out of a different and thus stiffer material? And if so, why measure them in mm instead of some sort of force per distance rating?

Unless of course the multitude of 20mm bars are all for the 318?
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

because stiffness is directly related to the diameter of the bar. bigger bar = stiffer. generally they're all made of the same sort of spring steel.

you can figure out the relative stiffness if you only know the diameter. (new/old)^4 - so a 20mm swaybar is almost *8* times stiffer than a 12mm bar. you can see how many consider such a large rear bar to be massively oversized.. that would be like increasing your front spring rates from stock to ~1300/1800#.
      Last edited by nando; 07-07-2011, 10:46 AM.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        because stiffness is directly related to the diameter of the bar. bigger bar = stiffer. generally they're all made of the same sort of spring steel.

you can figure out the relative stiffness if you only know the diameter. (new/old)^4 - so a 20mm swaybar is almost *8* times stiffer than a 12mm bar. you can see how many consider such a large rear bar to be massively oversized.. that would be like increasing your front spring rates from stock to ~1300/1800#.
        So if they are all the same material, why the same size front aftermarket bars?

That little math bit, if correct (:)) is quite a useful piece of info that I hadn't seen mentioned in a swaybar discussion before. Make me think a 22mm upgrade from 20 might actually be worth something (46% increase).

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Because they run a business. They want to compete in the market of sway bars. You can take your pick on where you send your money.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
            So if they are all the same material, why the same size front aftermarket bars?

That little math bit, if correct (:)) is quite a useful piece of info that I hadn't seen mentioned in a swaybar discussion before. Make me think a 22mm upgrade from 20 might actually be worth something (46% increase).
            stiffer isn't neccesarily better. especially the massive increases people like to go about.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              stiffer isn't neccesarily better. especially the massive increases people like to go about.
              I agree. But unless you had a 318, why would you buy a 20mm sway bar unless someone stole yours off your car? (Excluding the ix since it requires a different front sway entirely).

I guess I'm just puzzled why an aftermarket performance parts company would sell a part that is identical to the stock part. A stock part that doesn't really wear out. It seems they would attempt to sells something smaller or larger, anything but what most E30's have.

If a 20mm bar doesn't perform the same as every other 20mm bar, that would explain things, but you seem to be saying that isn't the case?

So if a stock E30 buys, say, the Eibach kit (20mm and 16mm) they will end up with a different rear bar, but they might as well be installing a freshly painted stock bar in the front?

I still feel like I'm missing something here. I can't believe that these companies are either that stupid/conniving, or that the buyers are that stupid/ignorant. Maybe when it comes to things I can't believe, I'm the one that's that stupid/ignorant :)

sigpic

Comment

I get what you are saying. I have never seen an ACS or Eibach bar. It is possible they are adjustable with different mounting locations for the sway bar link.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

i have a new, never installed st rear bar (19mm) for sale, $40+ shipping. pm me if interested.
                  Originally posted by BillBrasky
                  That's like Vlad challenging Chip Foose to a car painting contest.
                  Originally posted by acolella76
                  i'm pretty sure 'Phillis' is short for syphilis
                  2007 CVPI, stock and slow
                  1994 tercel, 5efhe swap, i/h/e
                  1984 t-type, 5.3/th350 swap in progress

My newest addition:
                  Rebecca Arlene, born 4/19/2013

Comment

Sent you a PM on the rear bar.

Comment

basically if you dont understand what makes a suspension feel stiff then you will probably buy aftermarket sway bars, ignorance is bliss i guess. bigger diameter bars are only necessary when you run really soft springs and you need the extra force of a bigger bar, it helps keep the wheels on the ground and reduce the added body roll from soft springs. if you run stiff springs (which most people who would buy aftermarket sway bars would be) you dont need bigger bars, the vert 21mm front and 14.5mm XI rear would be a perfect set up for a little stiffer suspension, and cost less than $100. i think its pretty silly to spend $300+ on new swaybars.
                      sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

bump for a nice info resource

btw, can anyone confirm that the E30 320i came with an 18.5mm Front Bar?
                        ...at least that's what my callipers say I've got, and it sure looks OEM (& in need of a new p/coat)

also, this;
                        How Sway Bars work
                        pretty sure I've seen it linked elsewhere within the cosmos of this forum before, but I figured this is maybe a more appropriate place.

Comment

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
                          basically if you dont understand what makes a suspension feel stiff then you will probably buy aftermarket sway bars, ignorance is bliss i guess. bigger diameter bars are only necessary when you run really soft springs and you need the extra force of a bigger bar, it helps keep the wheels on the ground and reduce the added body roll from soft springs. if you run stiff springs (which most people who would buy aftermarket sway bars would be) you dont need bigger bars, the vert 21mm front and 14.5mm XI rear would be a perfect set up for a little stiffer suspension, and cost less than $100. i think its pretty silly to spend $300+ on new swaybars.
                          As with most things, this "depends", right? I know the Pro-3 guys run hella stiff suspension with a larger front sway bar. That said, they run a stock rear bar (or in some cases no rear bar?). But back to the "depends", they also are trimming for race application, and have crazy [compared to street] camber, and sticky tires.

In general, I think you're right. But it's not an absolute if my understanding is correct.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
                            As with most things, this "depends", right? I know the Pro-3 guys run hella stiff suspension with a larger front sway bar. That said, they run a stock rear bar (or in some cases no rear bar?). But back to the "depends", they also are trimming for race application, and have crazy [compared to street] camber, and sticky tires.

In general, I think you're right. But it's not an absolute if my understanding is correct.
                            Oh of course that statement is not an absolute. What size bars and how you have them adjusted all comes down to the specific application, and driver preference. Though general in a street application you really don't need that big of sway bars, but in an actual race car it becomes a whole other story. Sway bars do play a role in your over-steer/under-steer, and they can be used as a tool to correct one or the other to an extent.
                            sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

I saw this and thought it would be useful here http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/swaybars.htm

Comment

Originally posted by carguy101 View Post
                                I saw this and thought it would be useful here http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/swaybars.htm
                                I saw this too... Three posts above this. But thanks :)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X