Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FIXED - Has anyone got the econometer gauge to work with an aftermarket ecu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIXED - Has anyone got the econometer gauge to work with an aftermarket ecu?

Hi guys,

I'm currently finishing up some odds and ends on my nissan sr20 swapped e30. It runs a link ecu and Ive wired one of its AUX outputs to power the factory economy gauge on the cluster. I can get it to perform a full gauge sweep but unfortunately cant get it to stop at specific values throught the range. For Eg I force 10% duty cycle at 50hz with hopes that it would stop at say 20MPG but the gauge just maxes out at every Duty Cycle value i input . The long term plan is to setup a boost/econo gauge so i can get it to reference manifold pressure and move the gauge accordingly.
    (Im not interested in that EconoBoost product)

If i can determine what frequency the gauge runs at, I can then establish the duty cycle to move the gauge to the value I'm after.

Unfortunately I just dont know what the factory ECU sends to the cluster as ive pulled that motor out already so cant test it.

If anyone has any advice or is savy with a multi meter and can determine the frequency / duty cycle the ecu sends it signal to the gauge that would be much appreciated
    Last edited by CrazyGhost; 04-13-2022, 09:31 PM.

note: this info in my post is questionable at best. Incorrect at worst.

I was just chatting to someone about this just the other day. Apparently the OEM just connects to injector signal from the ecu to drive the econo guage. The guy i was talking to reckons he just put his directly to the injector output on his mega squirt on the M20 . So that would be a pulse to ground at whatever injectors pulse at?. He reckons it was reasonably accurate too.

I haven't tried it yet on my mega squirt......but i intend to......one day.
    Last edited by e30davie; 04-13-2022, 02:49 AM.

Comment

I just ran a wire from the ecu signal off of injector 1 on the sr20 to the cluster input for the econometer. Just maxed out the gauge again! Hopefully someone has done this before

Comment

F*ck it, I just put a Acura integra tach in my cluster over it. ROFL
        Attached Files
        1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

I'm actually considering this route as well.
          I mean, yeah why not just run an ECU output to the gauge and put a different overlay so instead of L/100KM it just shows psi?

Unfortunately, my cluster is an early model cluster, and may not be of use to people, as I've seen most discussions are about the later model cluster with the coding plug and all that.
          So I'm not sure if any info I give will be any use.

EDIT: Also quick note, I don't think it's just a simple injector output.
          My speedo started glitching a couple years ago, it would just stop showing the speed I'm going and drop to zero.
          And when the speedo clocked out, so did the econometer, which shows the econometer takes speed into account.
          I started checking out every soldering joint on the board, and yeah the joint around the speedo were very loose.
          So I redid the joints and all has been well the past couple years.

I'm just saying I don't think its just a simple signal.

Comment

These are the early and late model econometer wiring diagrams, might help you out.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-13 132441.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	10052712
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-13 132436.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	10052711

I got these at:

Download the one that matches your production year and knock yourself out.
            And let us know if you manage to make it work and how :)

Comment

Originally posted by hozzziii View Post
              I don't think it's just a simple injector output.
              My speedo started glitching a couple years ago, it would just stop showing the speed I'm going and drop to zero.
              And when the speedo clocked out, so did the econometer, which shows the econometer takes speed into account.
              I started checking out every soldering joint on the board, and yeah the joint around the speedo were very loose.
              So I redid the joints and all has been well the past couple years.

I'm just saying I don't think its just a simple signal.
              You make a very good point actually! From memory doesnt the econometer needle actually wave back and forth until you actually start driving or increase revs? I was lazy and just stole the RPM output from my Link ecu to power the econometer while i tested. so the RPM actually wasnt working and the wheels werent turning while i was testing the econometer.

I'll retest tomorrow with it driving at speed, RPM inputed back into the cluster and the econometer wired on its own output. Ill see how i go and update you!

Comment

This can maybe also help. I'm almost done with my cluster. Adding a launch control and also a shift light in place of the check engine light. :) Stupid R&D engineers, we always have to complicate things...
                1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

E30 2.7i MS'd - YouTube
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by E30Eric; 04-13-2022, 04:34 AM.

Comment

It's unfortunately more complicated than that. I wish I had my scopes from the laboratory I worked at for schneider electric in Denmark. Just moved back to the US, but will run the M20 for a little bit while the T56 and twin turbo LS6 is getting built.

Comment

Maybe talk to this guy?

84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                      Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyGhost View Post
                        I just ran a wire from the ecu signal off of injector 1 on the sr20 to the cluster input for the econometer. Just maxed out the gauge again! Hopefully someone has done this before
                        If your car isn't moving you'll have no speed signal so wont it be maxed out in this test? (stationary and engine running = worst fuel economy) Been a while since ive seen my econo guage work, so not sure what it does when stationary.

Last edited by e30davie; 04-13-2022, 06:46 PM.

Comment

FIXED!!

I think i was just a bit naive when understanding how the fuel economy input worked. With RPM i could simply wire the RPM output from the link ECU and the gauge moved accordingly. There was some minor tweaking with the link software but i finally got it to move with the rpm that displayed on the laptop screen. With the fuel economy I didn't have the car running, just the igntion switched on, so I wired into the econo input but had no rpm or vehicle speed reference while i was testing. Looking at some of the solid state logic in the above wiring diagrams it appears to take it all into account.

So some testing this morning resulted in a functional eco gauge!!!!!

I have the car up on jack stands atm, so i ran the car in 2nd gear at 1100 rpm which resulted in 25km/h on the dash. I had the RPM from the link ecu re wired to the cluster and found a separate output from the link for the econo input.
                          Once this was up an running i was able to test different duty cycles to get a specific range on the gauge.

Results:
                          25kmh on dash
                          1100 rpm on dash

ECU output at 250hz

18.5% Duty Cycle= 4 on the gauge
                          20% = 10
                          22% = 15
                          23% = 16
                          24% = 20
                          25% = 23
                          26% = 24
                          27% = 26

Now with this data i can pop it into a seperate chart and have the ecu out put For Eg. When the ecu sees 15psi manifold pressure it will output 22% duty cycle on the gauge which will result in the needle moving to 15.

Ill be honest and say i didn't test at other rev ranges or speeds. So there may be some more tinkering required in that regard but so far so good.

Thanks everyone for your help!
                          Last edited by CrazyGhost; 04-13-2022, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Now I want to ask you to see what you can find out about the other thing.

Since you said the long term plan is boost or eco gauge, let's see what you can find about the gauge.

So, when you said you're just running an output to the gauge, are you running the stepper motor directly or are you putting the output to that analog logic board behind the gauge?
                            I think you're running the output to the board it seems. I dunno maybe I'm wrong.

My question is: do you think you can just... remove the whole board and just run the stepper motor directly? and maybe run the mpg calculations on the ecu and just control the stepper motor directly from the ecu?

My thinking is, if one can run the eco gauge directly from the ecu, theoretically you can tell it to show whatever you want, right? See where I'm going?
                            Maybe you can just run the motor as a boost gauge?
                            And just put an overlay on top that I dunno shows eco/psi and maybe you can swap between them with a knob switch in the cabin? I know haltech has that 12 position potentiometer knob thing...
                            That would be sick though.

I asked because well, since you're in there and already tinkering with it.
                            It's actually harder to come back to this stuff in the future, believe me I know.
                            Ya forget about that wire, can't remember the logic and all that, and then poof, you just don't do it anymore and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by hozzziii View Post

So, when you said you're just running an output to the gauge, are you running the stepper motor directly or are you putting the output to that analog logic board behind the gauge?
                              I think you're running the output to the board it seems..

My question is: do you think you can just... remove the whole board and just run the stepper motor directly? and maybe run the mpg calculations on the ecu and just control the stepper motor directly from the ecu?
                              That's it man, I am running it directly into the logic board.. the reason being is i spent quite a bit of money on the cluster recently getting it refurbed. I just didn't want to tear it apart. I'm confident i could simply power the gauge motor directly but yeah wanted to see if it could be done as designed.

Now i have established what the specific Duty Cycle's are I will use the gauge purely as a boost gauge. (Sorry my first post did say boost/econ gauge)
                              As i mentioned above ill have the ecu reference a table that has both manifold pressure and its matching duty cycle to output it accordingly on the Eco gauge. The gauge still has l/100km on it but it will function as a boost gauge and ill know what it means.
                              The car is a weekender with 500hp, it will consume too much fuel lol Im sure of it so not concerned about economy specifically.

The link software already logs some fuel economy related items such as -

Accumulated Distance
                              Accumulated Fuel/Distance
                              Instantaneous Fuel/Distance
                              Inst. Fuel Consumption ( If i really wanted i could use this data as the reference for an actual economy gauge as opposed to boost)

So I can monitor all these when I plug my laptop in as I require.

Comment

Working...
                              X