Help with new MSPNP2

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Originally posted by kyleconstantine
    Nice 82 sounds much better. Make sure you turn it back from fixed angle to use table now that the timing is set.
    Yes thanks for the reminder, I did it but was hours later when I remembered myself.

    I get my M50 TPS Friday and then I was thinking I might as well go wasted spark. Looking at buying this '95 Saab Coil pack and the quad spark from DIYAuto. Opinions?

    and If I go wasted spark what do I do with the old cap & rotor? Leave it disconnected or buy a $50 block off plate ?

    Leave a comment:


  • kyleconstantine
    replied
    Nice 82 sounds much better. Make sure you turn it back from fixed angle to use table now that the timing is set.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Originally posted by kyleconstantine
    I had that exact timing light and I had issues with it not blinking every time leading me to think I had ignition issues. I bought a quality timing light that did not have adjustable timing and set my fixed timing to 0. I found I was 2° off the harbor freight light. I think you can even get a timing light from auto zone lone a tool. I'd try a better light.
    Also I try to check the timing at about 2k rpm. It can be a pain by yourself to hold the throttle and the timing light and still see the timing marks but I think it's better than checking it at idle
    I couldn't find one to rent so just bought this Inova one. Nice to see RPM on it so I could hold the throttle body open, hold at 2k and check timing. Big difference over the Harbor Freight one, plus doing it at 2k. I was off 10 degrees, I'm now at a tooth angle of 82 ForcedFirebird . That's with fixed timing set at 10 degrees in tuner studio. I'll drive around with "Tune Analyze Live" running again now that I have the correct tooth angle. Thanks guys!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	262
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	10080581​

    Leave a comment:


  • kyleconstantine
    replied
    Also I try to check the timing at about 2k rpm. It can be a pain by yourself to hold the throttle and the timing light and still see the timing marks but I think it's better than checking it at idle

    Leave a comment:


  • kyleconstantine
    replied
    I had that exact timing light and I had issues with it not blinking every time leading me to think I had ignition issues. I bought a quality timing light that did not have adjustable timing and set my fixed timing to 0. I found I was 2° off the harbor freight light. I think you can even get a timing light from auto zone lone a tool. I'd try a better light.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Here is the best I could do, moved the alternator belt to the side. Interesting thing, I checked the timing again and it lined up most of the time. The light did not keep a consistent tempo, and not meaning speed, as the idle varies a little. I mean like atrial fibrillation in your heart, it would blink blink blink at a regular interval and then skip a beat. Which is consistent with my stock DME where the idle felt "lumpy". I wonder if the Dizzy is going? It's original.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	crank and timing mark.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	10079960

    Leave a comment:


  • ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Can you snap the reluctor wheel on camera? The alignment pin has peaked my interest. The late 1987 325e is kinda unique.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird
    Are you using a timing light with an adjustable angle, or standard?
    Adjustable, this one from Harbor Freight

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	294
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	10079940​

    Leave a comment:


  • ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Are you using a timing light with an adjustable angle, or standard?

    Leave a comment:


  • Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird
    I am very surprised at the 95 offset.
    me too. I want to check it again now that it feels pretty good. It's so hard to see the timing marks, the alternator belt is right in the way. but at least it's holding a steady enough idle I can make sure.

    Leave a comment:


  • ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I am very surprised at the 95 offset.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Ok back from the holiday break. Thanks guys for all your help my e30 is running better than ever! I have to say when I first plugged in the MSPNP2 and it ran like crap I thought "What have I gotten myself into?" Over the last couple weeks I have read a lot more and learned a ton and it is awesome.

    After fixing all the initial stuff:
    Are all of your general and engine settings correct? Injector size, ignition offset, TPS settings, ICV settings, thermistor settings?
    I did the following:

    1. Bought a new timing light and checked the timing, at temp I wasn't too far off the default map, changed tooth angle to 95
    2. Set the wideband o2 feedback or EGO control authority to 0% as recommended above
    3. Made sure the tach was turned on (probably didn't matter but I like it in sync with the car :))
    4. Once at temp (160+ CLT) I adjusted the Fuel Table 1, VE Table in the 9 or so cells effecting idle to richen it a little and get a smoother idle
    5. Paid the $60 for the full version of Tuner Studio and went for a drive with the wife holding the laptop and live analyzer running. That was fun!

    So now the no TPS signal is bugging me, I'm going to buy an M50 TPS and wire it up from SSSQuid. I also want to get an oil pressure and temp gauge/sender wired up before I turbo. And while I wait I'm trying to read up on how to understand the log files and what to look for.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    15+ may be lean but it could also be the result misfiring if the engine is running super rich and idling poorly. A miss will skew the O2 lean because it is dumping an unburned charge into the exhaust.

    Leave a comment:


  • Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus

    Is the o2 feedback authority the same as controller authority under EGO control?

    and warmup tables being Startup/Idle > Warmup Enrichment (WUE) in tuner studio?

    Sorry if these are stupid questions, I have never touched an ECU before ​​
    You got it on both counts.
    May also be able to change the "Algorithm" to None or similar to disable correction.

    Also no such thing as a stupid question.
    We'd rather have you ask so you can learn.​

    Leave a comment:


  • Hoffbrohaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird
    All that looks good to me.

    Next, pin the TB open enough for the car to idle in it's own (if it doesn't already), then go through the warm up tables and adjust.

    Make sure the o2 feedback authority is 0
    Is the o2 feedback authority the same as controller authority under EGO control?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	331
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	10078975

    and warmup tables being Startup/Idle > Warmup Enrichment (WUE) in tuner studio?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	313
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	10078976

    Sorry if these are stupid questions, I have never touched an ECU before ​​

    Leave a comment:

Working...