e23 Knock Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e23 Knock Sensor

I'm planning to go turbo on my stroker. I want to get protection against engine knock. I figured that the e23 745i turbo engine blocks were made from the same casting material as the e30 blocks of the same time period (my 86 m20 block vs the 82-84 m106/m30 blocks).

BMW installed knock sensors on this turbo engine so I figured the same knock sensor would pick up knock equally well on the m20 block of the same time period.

Now what I need to know is what output this knock sensor will send to my ecu so my MS2 will be able to pick it up, interpret it and adjust the tune. Does anybody have experience with using this sensor, or knock sensors in general?

Part number 12141279734 (number 10 in the photo)

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

I can tell you that the e23 system is Motronic 1.1 and likely not compatible with any m20 M1.3-based Megasquirt system you'll have. You may have more luck with an aftermarket knock sensing system.

Comment

It matters more about bore size than what the block is made of. You would probably be better off using a sensor from an m50 or even the updated and more reliable m54 sensor.

As far as feedback into your MS, you will need to add the knock sensor module. Someone else with a better understanding of the MS electronics hopefully will chime in. It was many moons ago (worked with an MS1) that I have messed with a KS circuit, and that was in my Firebird.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Get a modern knock sensor. No reason to use one made 35 years ago for an exorbitant cost.

I'd see what everyone else uses for MS and go with that.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Just found this, might be useful: http://www.viatrack.ca/

Comment

Thats old stuff. I'd get something that works over CAN and has firmware support.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X