What Makes a "Good Tune"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Makes a "Good Tune"?

Not sure if this question has been answered before, but cant find a good answer by searching, so i thought i would make a thread. I Always hear the phrase(s) "you can do this with a good tune" or "yes it can be done with a good tune". My question is, what makes a so called "good tune", sorry if this seems like a noob question, i'm new to tuning. Just trying to get a feel for what is done.

anyone?

Comment

There's more to a good tune than chucking it on a dyno and doing WOT pulls, tuning for power. Sure, getting the the timing right for best power without blowing it up is important, but what makes a tune truly good is making it feel like it was done by the manufacturer, the driveability stuff. This also is the stuff a lot of people have trouble with or neglect.

-Getting low/off load and transitional areas right to prevent bucking and hesitation.
      -Setting up accel enrichment for best throttle response.
      -Leaning out the cruise areas of the map(s) to reduce fuel consumption.
      -Getting cold start and warmup enrichment squared away.
      -Getting a good idle in varying situations.
      -Getting MAT correction and MAT based timing retard right.
      -Getting voltage compensation for dwell and injector performance right.
      -Setting up closed loop AFR correction correctly.
      -Setting up other systems such as boost and nitrous control, flex fuel.

It takes a lot of work to do those things, a lot more than it does to get the timing and fueling set to make as much power as possible.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        There's more to a good tune than chucking it on a dyno and doing WOT pulls, tuning for power. Sure, getting the the timing right for best power without blowing it up is important, but what makes a tune truly good is making it feel like it was done by the manufacturer, the driveability stuff. This also is the stuff a lot of people have trouble with or neglect.

-Getting low/off load and transitional areas right to prevent bucking and hesitation.
        -Setting up accel enrichment for best throttle response.
        -Leaning out the cruise areas of the map(s) to reduce fuel consumption.
        -Getting cold start and warmup enrichment squared away.
        -Getting a good idle in varying situations.
        -Getting MAT correction and MAT based timing retard right.
        -Getting voltage compensation for dwell and injector performance right.
        -Setting up closed loop AFR correction correctly.
        -Setting up other systems such as boost and nitrous control, flex fuel.

It takes a lot of work to do those things, a lot more than it does to get the timing and fueling set to make as much power as possible.
        thanks for the reply, helps to clear it up a bit

Comment

Can I make 400hp?

IDK man, maybe with a good tune?

NO SHIT. hey, with a bad tune bro, no problem.
          Originally posted by e30Nick View Post
          Not sure if this question has been answered before, but cant find a good answer by searching, so i thought i would make a thread. I Always hear the phrase(s) "you can do this with a good tune" or "yes it can be done with a good tune". My question is, what makes a so called "good tune", sorry if this seems like a noob question, i'm new to tuning. Just trying to get a feel for what is done.

When somebody says in the forum, or even in real life
          "if your tune is good"....."with a good tune"
          I'm pretty sure they're thinking this,
          "I have no idea and it might actually blow, I've never done that, again, I really don't know. I'm going to say, with a good tune it should ect ect"

HEY, can I use 2000cc injectors man and idle good?

Ya with a good tune!

ok. thanks. cool!

Comment

It depends one what stage your at bro. Like stage 3.5 and up and you'll need a good cutom tune. If your stage 3.25 and under you can get away with a totally legit ebay tune.
            The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Working...
            X