X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• citizen_insane
    replied
    Originally posted by McGyver View Post
    I know this is a dumb question, but I'm getting a little overwhelmed with all the MegaSquirt learning. I built a MegaSquirtII V3.0 board, used 3 BIPs to enable me to use wasted spark.

How is this wired? 3 MS outputs trigger each of the 3 coils, 4th plug is the high voltage input? Then voltage goes through the spark plug wire and ground is the cathode on the plug?

So that means this is wired directly to MS and I don't need a quad spark?

Thanks, I'm confused, and need to read the mega manual a few more times...

BIP373 replaces the quad spark. In fact, the quad spark is just 4 BIP 373's in an enclosure w/ some resistors and stuff (basically, it might be slightly more complicated than that).

The logic flow is:
    MS3 Output (any allowed) -> BIP373 -> Coil -> SparkPlugs

The BIP 373 is ground switching the coil and the spark plug should fire when the MS3 is no longer grounded (goes high).

This thread is very good, make sure to read it all the way through because there are corrections:

This is a diagram I made based off that thread/my setup:

Leave a comment:

• McGyver
    replied
    Originally posted by keyland View Post
    Yep, you'll need a total of three BIP373's.

I have the DIYPNP so it was a breeze to modify. Had the board modified and coil wired up for a test start in about an hour.
    I know this is a dumb question, but I'm getting a little overwhelmed with all the MegaSquirt learning. I built a MegaSquirtII V3.0 board, used 3 BIPs to enable me to use wasted spark.

How is this wired? 3 MS outputs trigger each of the 3 coils, 4th plug is the high voltage input? Then voltage goes through the spark plug wire and ground is the cathode on the plug?

So that means this is wired directly to MS and I don't need a quad spark?

Thanks, I'm confused, and need to read the mega manual a few more times...

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Nice!

Still haven't had to touch my COP setup once in like 7 years. So yeah, it's "fancy" and "complicated" but I haven't had to think about it since I put it together.

Actually, my E30 has had wasted spark/COP longer now than it had been stock under my ownership. I'm pretty sure I put in at least 4 cap and rotors, plus a set of plug wires, and God knows how many sets of plugs prior to that..

Leave a comment:

• mrlucretius
    replied
    My wasted spark build

Hey,

Thanks for this thread.

I went ahead and built this system.

It turns out I did not have to drill any holes in the chassis to mount it! There was a threaded hole, and a through hole I was able to use, it was just luck that the brackets and my design just happened to line up to those stock features.

The only issue I had was that the MS2PNP docs had the A + C outputs backwards! I was able to swap the wires for 1+6, 3+4 cylinders on the coil pack and she starts right up.

Read the PDF for the coil pack. I set dwell 3.4ms and duration 1.7ms based on my ~13V nominal voltage and an 8 amp limit on the QuadSpark.

See some photos here:

Thanks!
    Last edited by mrlucretius; 04-14-2019, 10:00 PM. Reason: clarity, accuracy, additional info

Leave a comment:

• 2002tiiguy
    replied
    Pin 4 is positive, 3 is 1/6, 2 is 2/5, 1 is 3/4

Leave a comment:

• Jaxx_
    replied
    Originally posted by Doorgoo View Post
    Dead thread revival lol... I'm using this set up wired to my whodwho megasquirt. I'm sure this will illicit "if you need to ask then you shouldn't he using it" comments but I can't get it running. From what the wiring says, pin 1 should connect to ign3, and so forth? What should nominal dwell be? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, I'd just like to get it running
    Wiring will depend on your application, and I don't know enough about the PnP setup to say. Keep in mind that the megasquirt pulls ground on the coil, so ensure that you have 12v at the coil when the car is in start and run. Technically, even if you have the coils wired incorrectly, you should be able to swap ign wires around to get the car to fire. Because it is wasted spark, make sure to keep each cyl pair matched to each coil.

Dwell depends on the coil--start with 3.5ms and go up in .5ms increments if you have spark issues. Some coils(like LS) like lots of dwell and can ask for 6ms without deterioration of the coil, and no increase in spark power.

Check out this video for some practical experiments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1WH0OExQyA

I'll mention because it might also be relevant for you: if your coil is hot to the touch (not just warm from underhood heat) you might have the dwell set too high, or incorrectly--going high/inverted vs going low.

Leave a comment:

• Doorgoo
    replied
    Dead thread revival lol... I'm using this set up wired to my whodwho megasquirt. I'm sure this will illicit "if you need to ask then you shouldn't he using it" comments but I can't get it running. From what the wiring says, pin 1 should connect to ign3, and so forth? What should nominal dwell be? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, I'd just like to get it running

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
    i still dont get the point of wasted spark
    let's put it this way, since I ditched the stock ignition setup back in 2007 I've spent exactly $0 on caps, rotors, and other stuff that seems to need replacing every couple years.

Even my full COP setup cost less than one Cap & Rotor and that included new plug wires and 2 spare coils.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    one negative is it looks ugly as hell if you have a huge coil sitting on the valve cover :( so if you do it mount it somewhere else
    What about multiple single coils?

Leave a comment:

• potatomash
    replied
    I use Mitsubishi GTO coils on mine haha, pretty cheap and reliable using off the shelf coil wires

Last edited by potatomash; 08-09-2017, 08:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    if you dont have any actual ignition issues then all these fancy coils, ignition boxes, blah, blah etc will do next to nothing tangible unless you are really pushing the envelope with high rpm or high cylinder pressure.

from a NA perspective the only positive thing ive seen with wasted spark is it allows you to easily add a cam sensor in its place for fully sequential injection , yet to see much in the way of benefit of sequential injection except nicer idle but will probably getting a better ECU soon to properly explore injector timing.

one negative is it looks ugly as hell if you have a huge coil sitting on the valve cover :( so if you do it mount it somewhere else
    Last edited by digger; 08-04-2017, 03:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
    I've been shocked many a times by both, and that alone will tell you the difference, ha! The stock single coil is what, 40,000v having to fire 3x per engine revolution, vs having three 40,000 firing once per rev. The fact that it's wasted spark is just an easy way to package, use less ignition components, plus you get the benefit of capturing any power potential of un-burnt fuel.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    Even if you don't really GET it get that you can use powerful coils and get to run a shit ton more duration.
    unstoppable spark plus total and complete burn time is where it comes down to.

also, ya. So you ever look at ur chewed up cap/rotor and wonder if it's time to replace it?

Leave a comment:

• keyland
    replied
    Theoretically, less loss in spark energy due to no longer using a distributor... Also there's no cap/rotor to wear out or break.

In my case, I did it to clear room for down pipe and/or wastegate and because I like working on electronics. Plus this Bosch coil was 1/4 the cost of a distributor cap.

Leave a comment:

• downforce22
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X