Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another MS2 no spark

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Well I don't know what else to tell you. Either start learning or give up.

    Have you even plugged a laptop in with tuner studio on your ecu ther you are having trouble with?

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      Well I don't know what else to tell you. Either start learning or give up.

      Have you even plugged a laptop in with tuner studio on your ecu ther you are having trouble with?
      Sorry I didn't intend to come off like "woe is me, megasquirt is hard!"...I'm a good and seasoned mechanic and have owned a bunch of e30s, but with next to nil experience with any sort of tuning or using a standalone. I'll get there!

      I have absolutely been into the ecu with Tunerstudio- I'm just still in the phase of learning how to use the software, and also fighting an issue that maybe or may not be hardware related. Luckily there are people out there willing to give a hand who have more experience than I do, like yourself.

      Thanks for your last post, btw, I'm not sure if I would've thought to run a temporary jumper straight from the ECU to the coil in order to isolate the harness wiring.

      Cheers!

      325iX Turdbo RallyX/Beater/Shuttle Vehicle

      Comment


        #33
        So the question remains. Do you have an rpm signal in tuner studio or not?

        Comment


          #34
          Sorry, just got back from a weekend of scout camping with the kids - I'll respond about the stim Monday. Trust me, you want one.
          Build thread

          Bimmerlabs

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            So the question remains. Do you have an rpm signal in tuner studio or not?
            Yes, and what looks to me like appropriate tooth logs. I'm thinking there's another coil driver or other hardware issue going on here. This ECU has had multiple hardware failures since I've had it and doesn't seem to be letting up.

            SSSquid is troubleshooting the MS right now and will get back to me sometime today with what he finds.

            Thanks for the help all!

            325iX Turdbo RallyX/Beater/Shuttle Vehicle

            Comment


              #36
              Alright, so it is some mystery hardware issue. I finally lost it and ordered a fresh MSPNP from diyat and it basically fired right up.

              I'll keep troubleshooting that ECU after I get some time in actually driving the car, getting my exhaust done, etc...

              I need to check my base timing- I gather I need a timing light with adjustable advance in order to set it at 10°? I have a light but it's basic.

              Also, nando I'm still interested in getting a stim if you have one.

              Thanks all for your feedback so far! Stoked to have this thing moving under it's own power again.

              325iX Turdbo RallyX/Beater/Shuttle Vehicle

              Comment


                #37
                Verifying timing is always smart. You don't have to use 10*, it just makes it easier for an untuned car to idle in some cases. My car idled at 0* locked timing even with a big cam, so try that first.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                  Verifying timing is always smart. You don't have to use 10*, it just makes it easier for an untuned car to idle in some cases. My car idled at 0* locked timing even with a big cam, so try that first.
                  Thanks! Yeah, I was able to get base timing set at 0* no problem.

                  Car is running pretty well on the diyat setup I bought and I'm slowly working on the tune at 5psi, hopefully turn it up a little more in the next couple weeks.

                  Looking for a solution currently to plumb the ICV back in, I can already tell not having it is annoying, especially with the huge temperature swings in central CO this time of year.

                  Time to put this thread to bed. Maybe I'll get my act together and actually start a project thread to better organize all my dumb questions.

                  325iX Turdbo RallyX/Beater/Shuttle Vehicle

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Fraser View Post
                    Alright, so it is some mystery hardware issue. I finally lost it and ordered a fresh MSPNP from diyat and it basically fired right up.

                    I'll keep troubleshooting that ECU after I get some time in actually driving the car, getting my exhaust done, etc...

                    I need to check my base timing- I gather I need a timing light with adjustable advance in order to set it at 10°? I have a light but it's basic.

                    Also, nando I'm still interested in getting a stim if you have one.

                    Thanks all for your feedback so far! Stoked to have this thing moving under it's own power again.
                    yeah, I got you - just had a rough last couple weeks, things should be more settled now.

                    Glad you got it running!
                    Build thread

                    Bimmerlabs

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X