V-Band question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-Band question

Is there any reason I shouldn't mix steel and SS V-Band clamps so that I can mate the SS and Steel pipes together?

regular steel rusts, but otherwise no. it won't cause a galvanic corrosion issue or anything.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Galvanic corrosion only occurs when there is electrical current passing though.

But as Nando states there will be no issue aside from the normal material property differences from Steel vs SS.

Comment

Thanks guys!
        Good to know I don't have to put zinc's on my drive shaft lol

Comment

Galvanic corrosion only occurs when there is electrical current passing though.
          You're partially correct. When 2 dissimilar metals (like stainless steel and steel)are in electrical contact and in the presence of an electrolyte (water, for instance) an electrical current will be generated in the form of free flow of ions from 1 metal to the other. This will cause 1 of the metals (the more anodic) to corrode more quickly than normal and the other metal corrode more slowly than normal.

In the case of your exhaust pipe joint the tightness of the joint should keep out almost all of the liquid water so the chances of galvanic corrosion are minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
            You're partially correct. When 2 dissimilar metals (like stainless steel and steel)are in electrical contact and in the presence of an electrolyte (water, for instance) an electrical current will be generated in the form of free flow of ions from 1 metal to the other. This will cause 1 of the metals (the more anodic) to corrode more quickly than normal and the other metal corrode more slowly than normal.

In the case of your exhaust pipe joint the tightness of the joint should keep out almost all of the liquid water so the chances of galvanic corrosion are minimal.
            I agree until the second paragraph.

When it rains, there's going to be an awful lot of water getting sprayed around under the car. The multiple notches in the vband clamp is going to let lots of water sit next to the joint between the two, and capillary action will do the rest.

That said, this is the best way to mate the two materials. Stainless and non stainless steels aren't going to react crazily with each other.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
            X