M20 Turbo engine fire-ring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Turbo engine fire-ring questions

I was wondering if anyone had problem with water leak with o-ringed engine? My M20B27 is stripped and I wish to blow it over 18psi. I found some info in old threads where members recommended to fire-ring it over 16psi.

I also asked someone local and he said the gasket can develop a water leak when the engine is cold. Is this common with M20 o-ringed engines?

Some owner uses stainless steel wire some use copper. Which would be the best and why?

Now my engine is stripped and would be easy to make that fire ring.
    I plan to use 1mm SS wire. 0.6mm deep in deck, 0.4mm sticks out. Cut both ends of the wire in 45 degs angle.
    My concern is if I do more harm than good.
    I plan to use Elring head gasket.

Anyone had issues with water leak?
    I dont seem to find much on this.

I've o-ring'd dozens of blocks without issue. Just did one for a member here:

john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks. Why did u use copper wire over SS? Is there any particular reason for that? Also what size of wire you used?

Comment

ISKY Racing Cams Groove-O-Matic Tool [200GRM] - Groove-O-Matic Tool Full-Size V8 With 3 3/4 -4 3/8 Cyl. Bores Incl. Copper Wire/Complete Instructions

There's tons of information about o-rings, it's been around for a long time. I have had success using copper, but some prefer stainless. Not matter what you use, the intention is to have extra clamping force on the fire ring. I found that an o-ring'd block will still blow a head gasket in the case of failure, with MLS, you have a higher risk of hurting pistons instead.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Goetze will less likely leak if your don't pop a gasket and it last. /\ Engine Fuse /\

using ARP studs?

I see some twin cam guys have coolant leaks on the Athena gasket, and some with MLS, but I think block / head prep is a bit ignored.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
          X