No announcement yet.

M42 turbo fact thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking good , should be more reliable than the SR ever was anyway. Is that a gt3076? looks massive next the the m42 . I like the wastegate out the front , although im hoping to fit mine behind someone but space is very small.

Comment

For sure. All the bearings are much larger. Yep 3076, yep massive. Has made 300kw on an M42 previously without cams. So I'm hoping to get there with less boost. I possibly could have tucked the wastegate between the head and dump but it was going to be super tight and I was worried about heat management.
      - Chris
      Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Originally posted by benjami View Post
        Iv been planning on building my m42 into a turbo for some time now.

so far>

TD06sl2 with 8cm t3 v-band turbine
        44mm external wastegate
        1 1/4 steam pipe manifold

plans are probably 8psi as its a daily driver, still need to finish manifold for the wastegate

Thanks for the influence chris :)
        What compressor wheel does your turbo have? 18G? 20G? If not a mitsu wheel what are the dimensions similar to? What power level are you shooting for? I have thought about an EVOIII turbo being a good match for our engines, but thats a TD05-16g.

Chris, glad to see you back with a M42 in there :)
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
          What compressor wheel does your turbo have? 18G? 20G? If not a mitsu wheel what are the dimensions similar to? What power level are you shooting for?
          :)

Compressor 52.5/68mm (20g) turbine 54/61mm , hopfully around 140kw at the wheels using a sensible 8psi , I know something smaller would probably work better but with the standard compression im hoping its not too laggy.

Comment

I think a smaller unit could get that power level easily, but im curious how an 06 turbine 20G wheel does :)
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Anyone have any info on a solid lifter setup?

e30guy, is your friend running stock oil system with his 8500 rev limit?

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                Anyone have any info on a solid lifter setup?

e30guy, is your friend running stock oil system with his 8500 rev limit?
                VW lifters are popular. I cant remember from what car tho. They are lighter and work better for higher revving applications

also chris, Nice progress man!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                Ig:ryno_pzk
                I like the tuna here.
                Originally posted by lambo
                Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Ben, TD06 on my SR made 190kw at 10 psi, same specs expect T2 flange. You will smash 140kw. Standard internals with head studs will go surprisingly well and last, the secret is in engine management but you should already know this with your turbo experience.

MF, my friend is running some odd hybrid setup, he mentioned shims out of a ducati and not being cheap. The VW lifters are the easiest solution, I think you need the 14.7mm pad height ones to give a reasonable shim thickness. Solid lifters will require different profile camshafts, CatCams (sold thru VAC) are available in suitable profiles. I'm hoping to run my hydraulic lifters up to 7500 rpm fairly reliably. Might up the spring pressure in the relief valve a bit to help with this though.

As for oiling the only mods we run around here are updated 360 degree thrust bearings (All replacement M42 bearings should be this) and an oil cooler setup. We are both running the "Mocal" oil take off plate, this deletes the oil filter housing but retains the factory check valve which stops all the oil draining out of the oil galleries in the head.

I am obviously making a custom rear sump with enlarged capacity and baffles because of the engine location, but otherwise standard.

I have heard of people modifying the bearing caps to fit M20 360 degree oiling groove bearings, but my Sydney friends have not done this and not had issues after years of track work.
                  - Chris

Comment

FWIW, there are M50 lifters that are the same diameter as M42 and are lighter. Not sure which ones they are from off the top of my head. You can also have a M50 cam tray for the smaller lifters machined to fit the M42 as well which offers additional weight savings.

Metric also sells solid lifters machined to use the S54 adjustment pads that fit M42.
                    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I run vw lifters direct fit and wiegh a lot less
                      Originally posted by bmwm42
                      PNW vulture pm me for parts
                      Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

From what car? Or a link of where you got them?

Thought about it and solid lifters arent necessary for the car. Motors probably coming out soon and ill have the turbo for sale.

Comment

VW part 050109309H
                          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I'm not 100% sure about when the transition happened in the M5x series. I know that the M50 NV engine has heavier lifters. The M54 is reported to have lighter lifters but I think this is a carry over from M52's.
                            - Chris

Comment

M42 got lighter lifters late -92, about 10 g lighter than M42 in E30. All according to ETK.
                              But I also think that the oil volume in lifter is smaller so it'll be a little more weight than that.

Comment

I believe they are a different size than the early m42 lifters. I saw it in an m42club thread. ill check again to verify.

Thanks for the pn, nick!

Comment

Working...
                                X