How practical is supercharging a m20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How practical is supercharging a m20?

Just brainstorming here, pretty unexperienced with mechanics, and i've heard that supercharging a car is typically cheaper/simpler than turbocharging a car.

So, basically I'm just wondering if that's really true. Is it a practical mod for about a 1k budget? I wouldn't want a massive supercharger, more of just a second hand one on craigslist.

With an M20, you can buy a turbo manifold. You can't buy a supercharger drive system, which means it needs to be fabricated. Everything else is just piping.

It really depends on the car, and space available, plus what aftermarket support exists. I don't think supercharging an M20 would be easier than turbocharging.

Comment

Originally posted by pablo View Post
      With an M20, you can buy a turbo manifold. You can't buy a supercharger drive system, which means it needs to be fabricated. Everything else is just piping.

It really depends on the car, and space available, plus what aftermarket support exists. I don't think supercharging an M20 would be easier than turbocharging.
      the car i'm looking at is a 86 325e. Haven't bought it yet, but will probably end up doing an i head on it.

So I would just need to get the intake fabricated, correct?

Comment

I don't know about cheaper.. you still need to tune it. it still needs many of the same parts, except for exhaust stuff. and you need to convert the pulleys to serpentine, add a tensioner, brackets, etc.

there's probably a reason you see so many turbos, and very few superchargers.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The real secret to success, whether it is a turbo charger or super charger, is a proper tune. In my opinion you really can't get there with the OE engine management system, you need something more flexible and more sophisticated. Like a MegaSquirt. You won't get there for $1k, but if your budget is around $4k...
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Carnifex View Post
            the car i'm looking at is a 86 325e. Haven't bought it yet, but will probably end up doing an i head on it.

So I would just need to get the intake fabricated, correct?
            For the supercharger? You'd have to make sure the pulley is indexed properly with a drive pulley. Belts don't like misalignment, if its off square, or forward or aft whatever you drive it off of, you'll have issues with the belt wearing or throwing it off all together.

Like nando said, you're probably looking at a serpentine belt conversion. I've got a small machine shop and I wouldn't bother with supercharging a M20. Its easy enough to get a turbo in there. More than likely cheaper for similarly built setups, in my opinion.

Comment

fuck lol :( i was really looking forward to that whine. that teenager struggle though.

I guess i'll reconsider a turbo set up eventually, maybe even just an n/a s52. thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by pablo View Post
                For the supercharger? You'd have to make sure the pulley is indexed properly with a drive pulley. Belts don't like misalignment, if its off square, or forward or aft whatever you drive it off of, you'll have issues with the belt wearing or throwing it off all together.

Like nando said, you're probably looking at a serpentine belt conversion. I've got a small machine shop and I wouldn't bother with supercharging a M20. Its easy enough to get a turbo in there. More than likely cheaper for similarly built setups, in my opinion.
                Also, pablo just noticed your from abq aswell. haha where in abq are you?

Comment

Also, pablo just noticed your from abq aswell. haha where in abq are you?
                  I'm in the north campus area. I spend most of my time away from home though.

Comment

No kits for M20 eh? Search harder next time:

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                    RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

^^ this!! is there a particular reason you want a supercharger over a turbo? have you considered N/A?? turbo and superchargers make boost yes, but in very different ways and have equally as many pros as cons to each system. personally this is what i think. Turbo to a certain extent is "free" extra hp. all you are doing is taking exhaust gases from the exhaust system, using that to spin a turbine to compress intake air and shove it into the engine... i.e. boost. Down side of turbo's kind of a pain in the ass to tune, and get pricey to maintain. lots of odds and ends. A supercharger harnesses boost from the mechanical spinning of either a centrifugal system or twin screw driven off a drive belt attached to the motor. so in this sense its not technically "free" hp as a turbo is because you need to use engine power to physically turn the supercharger thus in my opinion stealing some of that engine potential. many ppl may disagree but any additional mas the motor is forced to spin is power that the motor cant harness for its own "fun uses" so to speak. but they arent nearly as a complicated install and not as whoreish to tune. so you should think about what your endgame result will be, and what can you afford to do, and do it reliably. Like i keep telling my buddy with an e36 m3... if you are gonna mod the car... dont cut corners. do it right the first time or dont do it at all. Hope this helps
                      10 minutes... then we invade China.
                      We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
                      And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

Originally posted by 1owNslo View Post
                        ... if you are gonna mod the car... dont cut corners. do it right the first time or dont do it at all.
                        This.

OP: either way you go will be awesome, just plan everything out before you start buying parts.
                        - Josh
                        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
                          No kits for M20 eh? Search harder next time:

http://www.ccr-racing.com/shop/super...t-on-224p.html
                          Thats over $4000 and it doesn't include anything for tuning.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Just brainstorming here, pretty unexperienced with mechanics, and i've heard that supercharging a car is typically cheaper/simpler than turbocharging a car.

So, basically I'm just wondering if that's really true. Is it a practical mod for about a 1k budget? I wouldn't want a massive supercharger, more of just a second hand one on craigslist.
                            no
                            1987 325ic
                            2001 996tt
                            2000 996c2 vert
                            2008 b7 s4
                            2008 ml550

Comment

Originally posted by Buzztt View Post
                              no
                              lol and this... for 1k... just do some N/A work. convert to a maf and maybe some headers if thats all you really have to blow. you arent gonna get by with 1k to do anything forced induction mi amigo.
                              10 minutes... then we invade China.
                              We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
                              And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

Working...
                              X