From knowing nothing to having a Thunderbird supercharger on an m20b27i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    Lower compression raises the threshold (in terms of temperature and boost pressre) for detonation at a given fuel octane.

Preignition and detonation are very different things.
    Lots of info on detonation and pre-ignition and their differences

And Taco, I was referring to a used m20b27 (not a 2.7i) bottom that would be likely to have less revolutions on it because of lower rev limit (from the factory). I was a bit unclear in my wording.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
      Maybe for only the short block. Here is the first page of M54B30s on car-part.com sorted by distance:
      OK, TN has surprisingly slim pickin's.

There's always ebay:

Comment

I've got a new plan brewing in the darkest corner of my mind right now. It may involve even more displacement...
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

OK, TN has surprisingly slim pickin's.

There's always ebay:
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-3-Se...6a5b1f&vxp=mtr
          At the risk of being accused of belaboring the point, because I most certainly am, that is only a crankshaft for $425, not

a whole M54B30 for $500
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
            At the risk of being accused of belaboring the point, because I most certainly am, that is only a crankshaft for $425, not
            Yes, you are.
            Just because you can't find a smoking deal *right now*, two blocks from where you live with 3 minutes of looking doesn't mean they don't come up.

Good, quick, cheap; pick any 2, etc. You get a good product on a limited budget by taking your time to find the right deals. I've gotten plenty just by checking back a little later.

That's a crank for $325 + $100 shipping. Depending on what part of TN you're in, the shipping might not be a thing.

Comment

If you see a whole M54B30 come up for sale for $500, let me know so I can buy it.

Comment

Right now there are cores (suitable parts donor for M20 stroker build) as low as $400, but claimed running engines start at $600. Get on your horse for Fontana, CA.

X5 cores are cheaper, but runners start about $1k

Comment

…And we're back!

So I think I'm thinking about an m30. With an m90. Mmmm? Mmmmm?
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

3.5l would be right where that Eaton wants to be. I bet it would be so fucking wonderful. Cummy pants.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

MOAR TORK!

M30 swaps are difficult. It's a big engine and doesn't really fit in the E30 engine bay. Have you been reading up on them? They're also about the heaviest swap you can pick.

You'd have to fab a totally new manifold... essentially starting your build over from scratch. You may or may not have room at the front of the engine for enough of an accessory drive to turn the blower.

Comment

MOAR TORK!

M30 swaps are difficult. It's a big engine and doesn't really fit in the E30 engine bay. Have you been reading up on them? They're also about the heaviest swap you can pick.
                        I have read, and I bought the FrankM writeup a year or more before I did the supercharger. I need a project for winter. It may be to make an M30 fit in the spare car, add an M90 and swap the works into my car in the spring. They said I shouldn't try it on the m20…

You'd have to fab a totally new manifold...
                        Yeah, I don't care that I'd have to re-do the manifold. That part was a couple weeks of planning and sculpting and was really fun.

... essentially starting your build over from scratch.
                        But I have the FI knowledge in advance this time!

I believe I can make the wire harness from the m20 work on the m30 and still use the ms2.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                          …And we're back!
                          This thread derailment has been brought to you by a grant from The Chubb Group and the letter "R."

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                            3.5l would be right where that Eaton wants to be. I bet it would be so fucking wonderful. Cummy pants.
                            I have an 1986 e28 donor car for sale in Atlanta, Ga(really Marietta). The car was striped my someone else for a chump build but abandoned because of a bad transmission. The engine runs strong and it is has 8:1cr.

FIST CAN BE A VERB.

Comment

I will keep that in mind Gesture. Thanks.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Here is your engine swap goldmine: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewforum.php?id=12

86 E in georgia: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/vi...c.php?id=27118

this beauty: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/vi...c.php?id=27048

here is a guy with some e28 engines: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/vi...c.php?id=25898

Might be able to talk him down.

Comment

Working...
                                X