No announcement yet.

From knowing nothing to having a Thunderbird supercharger on an m20b27i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, well, I've acquired an m30 with a clean remanned by ZF auto trans attached. It came with a trade I made recently. My vert beater that I refer to now and again got traded away for a really straight, dirty but clean, 1987 325is roller with the m30 and trans to boot.

Here's what I'm thinking. I like to go out to the Brodeo and run the dragon. I also like to drive my kids to school and not spend too much on gas. I have my 92 cabrio. I have the 87 325iS roller. What if I put the m30 with the auto in the vert and have a pretty m30 auto swap for cruising and shuttling kids to and from school, and put the supercharged m20 into the coupe for beating on at the Brodeo (all the while, putting a m20b27 bottom in)?

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work.

Chevy 350 + m112

Comment

It's gonna be a lot of work. one way or another.
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

So I think the m30 and 4hp-22eh will be going in the "new" 325iS. Let the vert stay what it has become and make the new project all-m30-and-automatic-muscle-car-goodness. Time for a new thread.
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hey buddy, any updates on going 4hp22eh?
            sigpic
            Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
            '94 318i
            '07 335i
            '11 X5
            '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

Man, I think I'm gonna get the non-electronic guts for the trans. It would
              certainly get me on the road faster. I think.

For those of you that want to follow the progress, here's the project thread for the hot-rod 335iS:
              Link to Rat-Hot-Rod (idk) build...
              It's still in the concept phase, but come on over and give me some feedback.
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm 9500 miles into this little experiment. A little update on the engine noise. The rattle, chatter, whatever, is getting worse. It's now present at 2200rpm through 4500 or so. I think it's not long for this world. I really can't wait to see what it is.

Irrrrregardless, I'm gonna drop a 2.7 bottom in and have a blowed strokey. Sounds nice…

Would you like a blowed strokey? Why yes, yes I would.
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'd like to see this dynoed for science.

Comment

Me too. I reckon I will. Once I get the motor sorted out with the eta bottom, I'll take it to someone to tune it.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Preliminary results are in!

I beheaded this little beast to look for signs of valves smacking pistons (this was my latest theory on the mystery noise). The pistons looked pretty decent, the exhaust relief looked slightly suspect, but I wasn't sure until I put some water in the exhaust ports and every single one leaked. Classic over-rev and consequent valve-float/benditude. I felt like I might have over-reved at the spring Brodeo because I had set the rev-limit too high in an effort to get my red-line over 5500rpm when I just needed to move the CPS closer to the harmonic balancer.

So, a tentative "Hell yes!" is in order. I'll get her put back together and off we go again.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

6 leaky exhaust valves. Not 6 bent exhaust valves. There goes that theory. Would leaky exhaust valves make a rattle similar to pinging?
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Why are they leaky? Burned? Are the seats eroded?

An exhaust valve that's running too hot can contribute to detonation.

Comment

They looked a little black. Like dark metallic black. Ill get some pics…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

You need to get the valves off the seats so you can look at the seats and the seating surfaces on the valves.

Comment

Here you go.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X