M42 turbo pt 1- it blew up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dissembler View Post
    Maybe pre ignition, but you'd think with enough preignition to crack a piston/break a con rod into 3 pieces there would be signs of it elsewhere?
    All it had to do is bend the rod and crack the piston, it can disassemble itself from there.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by jwal View Post
      That's incredible! How did a stock M42 survive that?! I'm working on a much more modest build, but I'm also dropping the CR to around 9:1. What's your cooling system setup?
      It did not survive! lol Cool story. Get it back out there.
      Custom Made Skid Plates For Sale.
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=111469
      http://raceskids.com/

Comment

Any pics of how you reworked the m44 turbo manifold after it was flipped? I'm on the fence as to m5* cut and reworked from the flange or m44 reworked.

Comment

Have a few updates. My wife and I were in Iceland for the last 2 weeks taking our very belated honeymoon; got back last night. Was back at it today, made some progress. Disassembled the new engine, got the mls gasket and studs installed, gave everything a good clean. Got the VAC valve springs in and have started reassembling the engine.

Before I install the cams though, need some knowledge. VAC included two sets of shims with the valve springs. I've searched but cannot find any literature or installation guide from VAC. I'd contact VAC but I don't have 4 weeks to wait for them to get back to me...

They go underneath the lifters to limit the lash adjuster, correct? I haven't bolted the cams down but did put the lifters and cam tray together and everything seems to fit together nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lifters.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	7196917

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
          Any pics of how you reworked the m44 turbo manifold after it was flipped? I'm on the fence as to m5* cut and reworked from the flange or m44 reworked.
          It did require a little bit of reworking, not shown is that right by the flange I had to slice the runners open so that I could bend the whole thing away from the valve cover. Then made the riser which is about 3" long. The turbo sits half a cm from the wheel well mostly because of the waste gate actuator. Will snap a few more pics for you once the engine is back in the car. Eventually I plan to make a new manifold that will move the turbo forward and lower.

Click image for larger version

Name:	manifold.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	7196916

Comment

We demand updates!
            My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

Working...
            X