Alternative Fuel lines for E85?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative Fuel lines for E85?

I have searched and cannot seem to find answer and maybe I’ve not search enough or too deep. I can keep this very simple but want to consider other options. Simple meaning running PTFE 6AN fuel lines but I want to consider push locks. My goal is to use E85 in my oem fuel tank. I will be taking off fuel tank to replace all the oem fuel lines and prepping it for E85. I already know what size line I need. I Came acrossed Gates Barricade 27348 5/16” fuel lines but read mix reviews on it. Does anyone have any expierence using this fuel line? What other fuel lines have you used that is compatible with E85 other than PTFE type lines? Thanks.

Anything steel is going to rust exponentially faster than e10 or pure gasoline. That's why newer cars all use stainless and plastic. Alcohol fuel is hydroscopic and will draw moisture from the air.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      Anything steel is going to rust exponentially faster than e10 or pure gasoline. That's why newer cars all use stainless and plastic. Alcohol fuel is hydroscopic and will draw moisture from the air.
      thanks for the information. I don’t want to get into what lines are better than others but what fuel lines have you used or have good experiences with?

Comment

Wouldn't E85 tarnish the tank, not just the lines? I had old fuel in my tank that rusted it enough to require replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
          Wouldn't E85 tarnish the tank, not just the lines? I had old fuel in my tank that rusted it enough to require replacement.
          I am not certain that E85 will eat away my oem fuel tank. I’ve been mixed reviews. Some people are ok using oem lines w E85 but best practice I hear is use appropriate lines for applications.

Comment

Here is the information from the manufacturer:

Low-permeation, premium hose for use on all fuel systems, including fuel injection (MPI). Approved for use with gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel including soybean methyl ester (SME), rapeseed methyl ester (RME), palm methyl ester (PME) per ASTM D6751, E-85, methanol, ethanol, ethanol extended gasoline, gasohol fuels and 100% alcohol. Patented five-layer Greenshield® barrier technology keeps fuel out of the environment while delivering peak fuel efficiency.”

Comment

So, I think that means, it’s ok to use with E85? Anyone here have experience with these fuel lines? It’ll be a simple replacement, no adapters needed. I might go ahead and order like 15-18 feet of this stuff.

Comment

allot of chain autoparts have e85 rated fuel hose it says right on the hose.
                the stock rubber ones will get hard and eventually crack but it takes time.

i'm using push lock hose from the body to the fuel rail but use the autoparts stuff that's rated for flex fuel at the tank.

fuel tank is clean but the stock fuel filter is rusted.
                u should probably get a e85 safe filter too.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                  allot of chain autoparts have e85 rated fuel hose it says right on the hose.
                  the stock rubber ones will get hard and eventually crack but it takes time.

i'm using push lock hose from the body to the fuel rail but use the autoparts stuff that's rated for flex fuel at the tank.

fuel tank is clean but the stock fuel filter is rusted.
                  u should probably get a e85 safe filter too.
                  Good to know the fuel tank is E85 safe, are you using E85 with the stock fuel rail as well?

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Look, for your car, I can advise you to try gas. This is the cheapest type of fuel, I was told about it a long time ago by my older brother, who is engaged in cars, and I also read an interesting article on this site https://fuelson.com/ . So, I was advised to switch to gas, because now gasoline is very expensive and it seems to me that it is absolutely not profitable to use it as fuel. So you should try it, if that's how you're asking for advice. And so I advise you to think first of all before you switch to gas fuel. Good luck and good mood!
                    Last edited by BonScott1; 04-09-2021, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Any modern fuel injection hose should be ethanol safe. I'd replace all of them around the pump, inline filter, and in the engine bay unless you've done them recently.
                      Same with the filter.

If your tank and lines are in decent shape, I'd leave them alone, I think they're good for a bit over 500whp with an uprated pump.

If you drive the car frequently, the ethanol should be cycled through enough to stop it from absorbing water and causing issues.
                      If you need to park the car for a while (like for winter or whatever), you could run a tank of gas and top it up before storage so it doesn't sit for a long period with ethanol through everything.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I used Gates Barricade.
                        I bought it from RockAuto https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ga...e+/+hose,11224

I didn't find any problems. It seems to be the right fuel line.
                        Barricade MPI Fuel Line Hose - 5/16" (225 psi)
                        Barricade Fuel Line Hose with GreenShield Technology
                        • BEST-IN-CLASS working psi of 225 (for fuel injection)
                        • Lowest permeation rate on the market 1 gr/m2/day
                        • Exceeds California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA requirements
                        • Multi-fuel compatible: Approved for use with leaded and unleaded Gasoline, Diesel, Biodiesel†, E-85, 100% Methanol, ETHANOL and gasohol fuels
                        • Performs 5x better for permeation than the nearest competitor
                        • Inside Diameter 8 mm
                        It kinked when I tried to use it to connect to the fuel filter.
                        Then, I bought prebent BMW lines for both sides of the filter.

Comment

Yeah that's a good point, I forgot. You more or less need those two pieces to be the moulded ones from BMW.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                          X