276/268 reground camshaft 2.5 or 2.7i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

276/268 reground camshaft 2.5 or 2.7i

Recently acquired a rebuilt, ported & polished 885 “i” head that has a Schneider 276/268 regrind. I’m currently running a stock ETA bottom end with a 885 “i” head on boost / Megasquirt. I’m oil fouling plugs so I’ll be taking the engine out for a rebuild. I’d like to swap the new ported and polished 885 “i” head with 276/268 cam while I’m the process. Not sure if I should rebuild my ETA bottom end with “i” pistons or run all “i” bottom end. From what I read the ideal thing would be ETA bottom end, “i” pistons and 885 “i” head. My concern is if the cam would work well with that set-up??
    Last edited by GUERONASTY; 03-14-2020, 02:51 PM.

Regrind cam card
    Image F8-EBFB9-F-608-F-4378-AA9-C-3-FED5-F4-D2651 hosted in ImgBB

Comment

the better the engine is when a mild NA engine the better it is under boost. the cam will be fine
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

That's not a very large cam, it will work fine. With longer duration cams, you want more static compression to take full advantage.

Yes, the budget stroker is the way to go. To use "I" pistons the block needs to be decked about 2mm. It will put you over 9:1 compression and it will love the boost. As Digger said, the better the NA engine is, it will just be amplified by the boost - so start with the best you can.

Another budget build that works well with turbo is use an 84mm crank from an m52, eta 130mm rods, and don't deck the block. This is closer to stock b25 compression, uses the good piston/head design, but leaves a little large quench.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          That's not a very large cam, it will work fine. With longer duration cams, you want more static compression to take full advantage.

Yes, the budget stroker is the way to go. To use "I" pistons the block needs to be decked about 2mm. It will put you over 9:1 compression and it will love the boost. As Digger said, the better the NA engine is, it will just be amplified by the boost - so start with the best you can.

Another budget build that works well with turbo is use an 84mm crank from an m52, eta 130mm rods, and don't deck the block. This is closer to stock b25 compression, uses the good piston/head design, but leaves a little large quench.
          What would be more cost effective for a budget stroker? I have everything for the budget stroker. Either having the block decked 2mm. Or sourcing a m52 crank the second option, usually $75-125 locally?

And by “... ,uses good piston/head design” do you mean “i” pistons & head for the m52 route?
          Last edited by GUERONASTY; 04-04-2020, 12:01 AM. Reason: Clarify

Comment

They are going to cost similar, but with the added machining expense of either turning the crank and re-balancing it, or modifying the pistons to clear the bob weights - as well as the added expense of a crank spacer for the front main seal. So, you save the $$ on the block decking, but add machining costs. If you know someone, or have access to equipment, this can be a deciding factor. Many people have small lathes in their home garages, not so many have mills capable of decking a block.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
            X