Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Turbo Clutch Options?

Hey guys,

I’ve been boosted at 13 psi for a few years on my new stock clutch and haven’t had any issues, looking at upgrading. I was given a new stage 4 unsprung “FX Racing” (Formerly FI Racing I think) clutch but don’t really like the idea of paying all the labour to install a cheap clutch or going the unsprung route. The car is summer driven on sunny days only but I want something close to stock pedal feel. What are people going with? Ideally I’d like a southbend stage 3 daily but am not looking to spend $800 on a kit.

Thank you!

2016 F-150
    1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

I'm using the fx-400 ceramic 8 puck clutch and the pedal feel is jusr about the same in terms of stiffness. It is quite a bit more on/off though. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

My recommendation is to not get a kevlar clutch whatever you do. I have a spec stage 3+ clutch currently, perfectly daily driveable. The UUC 9 puck I had before was also just fine for daily use at the time. Both have a stiffer pressure plate than stock, this is unavoidable if you want it to hold up to any decent amount of torque. Engagement is far more important than pedal effort in any case, especially in a non-DD. Maybe my standards are different, I also have big spring rates and some people complain about H&R race springs being too stiff, then they delete the AC and I insist on keeping mine

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        My recommendation is to not get a kevlar clutch whatever you do. I have a spec stage 3+ clutch currently, perfectly daily driveable. The UUC 9 puck I had before was also just fine for daily use at the time. Both have a stiffer pressure plate than stock, this is unavoidable if you want it to hold up to any decent amount of torque. Engagement is far more important than pedal effort in any case, especially in a non-DD. Maybe my standards are different, I also have big spring rates and some people complain about H&R race springs being too stiff, then they delete the AC and I insist on keeping mine
        Thank you. I’ve been eyeing up the spec clutches, good to know the stage 3+ is a great choice. I’ve been looking at various organic material clutches. UUC makes an organic one that would be within my power limit but is similar, if not more than the spec clutches. I’m leaning towards the spec stage 3+.
        2016 F-150
        1987 Royalblau 325es B25 turbocharged

Build thread here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=405594

Comment

Similar boost level for me, Spec Stage 3 or 3+, can't remember. It's a bit of an on/off switch, but I almost never stall when engaging the clutch around 1000-1300 rpm, and if you rev it up a bit more there's no stuggle. The benefit of such a clutch is (for me, at least) much much smoother shifting.

Comment

Now, my clutch hasn't seen boost yet but I have put a 1000 miles on it NA to break it in. I went with a clutch masters FX350 clutch and it's very daily driveable, it is slightly more on off than a Sachs clutch but I swear the pedal feel is even lighter than stock. The gist is that it's a street friendly clutch with high clamping force for turbo power.

The car goes back into daily duty soon (15kmiles/year) so drive-ability was definitely important in my decision.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Drivelin...8aAgO5EALw_wcB

Comment

Here's another vote for the Spec Stage 3+. It's grabbier than the stock clutch, but easily daily drivable and the spring isn't any stiffer than the stock. Been holding fine for 7000 miles @ ~14psi.

Comment

Working...
              X