Drivetrainless '74 rolling shell value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivetrainless '74 rolling shell value?

No drivetrain. All rust fixed. Has glass & most fasteners he has a good Alpina e23 interior. I want to make a fair offer but don't want to overpay.

That is a 325 differential, (don't know if LSD) he has an e23 Alpina interior he will include. I'm trying to make a fair offer but considering I need a drivetrain, lots of sanding/finishing full respray & assembly can see the build spiral out of control so can't pay too much.

Also, could I put round taillights in without replacing the entire rear panel?

What do you guys think?

Attached Files

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Had to delete 4 pics
    Attached Files

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

2002 values have skyrocketed so the price is a tough one to call. I would be a bit concerned about the methods used to achieve the custom bodywork. If bold work like that is not done well it is likely to cause a failure in the outer finish at some time. I would inquire about the specific products used on the bodywork so far. Hopefully, it was done well with high-quality products. Having to go back and redo all of those effects would likely push the project back a year depending on how much free time you have.

Comment

Brutally, that's a thousand dollar disaster.

But the owner obviously won't agree with me.

The red- painted caliper pic is what does it...

Over the internet, I can't tell if the diff is a 168 or a 188, and my twitchy nose isn't
        convinced it's at the right angle- I tried using the E36 rear cover on a 168, just to
        see if it'd work- and it doesn't. Too far back, and IIRC (long time ago) hung down too low.
        As in, it hit the rear support structure before it was far enough up.
        Is it going to mate to a transmission? One wonders...
        ​​​​​​​
        But this is the internet, not up close and personal.

I don't see any evidence of anything special- or finished- underneath,

The fiberglass bonding might be OK. Then again, who knows? The surface rust scares me.

I don't know what an e23 interior is going to do for you with a 2002- I know people cram the back seat in, but...

Yes, you can do a shit- ton of bodywork to avoid a rear panel swap to make it a roundie,
        but it's easier- in the end, pun fully intended- to swap the panel.
        The nose needs bodywork, and turning it into an earlier one is also a lot of bodywork, either way.
        Then there are the grilles, which are not cheap.

Personally, I once looked at a car that the owner 'wasn't sure what he wanted for it'.
        It was a nice 318is with a timing chain that had already made a new crankcase vent for itself.
        The owner 'wasn't sure why the idle was rough' but was pretty sure the whining noise was the power steering pump.
        He then got kinda miffed when I offered him what I thought was a fair price for a $4000 car that was
        going to need $1500 worth of work immediately. Also couldn't figure out why I didn't want to test- drive it....

Now I don't bother with unpriced cars- it's your car, figure out what you want for it.
        If you can't, put the damned thing on eBay or something.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
        X