Taking a block/crank to a machine shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a block/crank to a machine shop

I have a b27 block and crank, crank bearings.

What do I say to the shop to get everything ready for the i pistons/885 head? I don’t really know the lingo and I don’t want to forget something important.

Do I get new crank bearings? Do I need to take the b27 rods too?
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

What size are the pistons? (Stock or over size). The shop will need them to bore or hone the block. The block may also need a slight decking if not absolutely flat. The crank will need to be measured and polished. Then you can select main bearings. The rods also need to be checked and possibly resized.

Comment

Howbout those jackshaft bearings?
      Still unobtanium?
      Then don't tank it!

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

The pistons are stock and inside my running b25 engine. My plan is to get the 2.7 block/rods prepared and taking out my 2.5 over the winter and swapping the 2.7 block/crank/rods in. I have enough money saved up to go down to West Palm Beach and give John/ForcedFirebird a visit and buy a fresh head from him, give him a couple used ones too. (Haven’t contacted him yet)

t, I have read about those bearings I think? I can tank it if I remove the oil pump? We have a few of those pumps lying around too.

Comment

The jackshaft bearings are in the block, and will get eaten if the block is hot- tanked.

But sometimes you can get them (they're cheap) and sometimes, it seems, you can't.

And it's not like they go bad- it's just the availability. Hot- tanking a block is nice, but it's
          not absolutely essential. There are other ways to clean it, they're just more work
          and arguably somewhat less effective.

Hell, M10 bearing shells are getting hard to find- it might be time to get a bit paranoid about mains and cranks, too.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
            The pistons are stock and inside my running b25 engine. My plan is to get the 2.7 block/rods prepared and taking out my 2.5 over the winter and swapping the 2.7 block/crank/rods in. I have enough money saved up to go down to West Palm Beach and give John/ForcedFirebird a visit and buy a fresh head from him, give him a couple used ones too. (Haven’t contacted him yet)

t, I have read about those bearings I think? I can tank it if I remove the oil pump? We have a few of those pumps lying around too.
            eta crank + eta rod + b25 slugs = block needs to be decked nominally ~2mm. Needs to be mocked up with pistons and 885 head to set squish at around 0.040"
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thank you digger

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
                t, I have read about those bearings I think? I can tank it if I remove the oil pump?

don't tank it at all. the intermediate shaft bearings driving the oil pump are babbits, and are inside the block. no one knows how to do babbits anymore and the bearings are not available.

Comment

pretty sure these are the intermediate shaft bearings but best to reuse if in good condition
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                  X