m20 street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20 street build

putting together a mild street m20 build.
    took the block in to the machinist to get it cleaned and have some work done.

got new freeze plugs, rings, bearings etc

rebalanced the cank and rotating mass while at it

added some color

lower timing cover, intermediate shaft / bearing / pulley, and crank pulley installed.

oil temp sender, oil filter cooler line adapter on the other side.

note the block heater.this was a cold weather car.

added in a crank scraper.

my pops clearanced it by hand, ml by ml, with a set of hand files. took some time.

oil pump and relief valve were taken apart and cleaned up then reinstalled.

cleaned up the oil pan

added a baffle.

had to remove it a few times and clearance for both the pump and relief valve as well. we flipped one of the bolts too..

it got a spray before install

it's getting put on today. gonna get the rear main cover and seal on and torqued in too. need them both on so i can sandwich the crank scraper between two pan gaskets.

more on the way..

head got cleaned up. simple 3 angle valve regrind with some new seals.

Click image for larger version  Name:	XVyPGUYE83ajxkX6i58JGOP4au78x9Zh38nAgXQWST_LsvD7itLWzbh_vx3oM9KTo7oCZ83_fdh4eHZRvUzTmdcJxqVIVGIvME1TdEG-a2dYbS6SYAp8fIaXh3kdaeT4u4n0XVgg9g=w2400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	10032221

no real porting but did have a few edges smoothed. barely touched at all.

running original springs. machinist said there was no reason not to, felt they were good and strong, and this is more a refresh and not a real power build.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FkTYXszQvYPFIsmdj_Nt4RveFsXtmvyXgNzFUqrqJ6ncYVTP8iCPN_n3KDa3FvwLh-gdtoWTkZpVnfq0zXKoDG-1DSBrAg_-8pzOW43XblgfmwNmSBp4m0vM4V0cg-YGbMz447ijVA=w2400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	10032222

engine has a bit under 160km ~ 100k mi original. was in pretty good shape. it blew a rear main which snowballed to a teardown to replace all the seals gaskets etc...

sent the cam off to colt cams for a 272 regrind

Click image for larger version  Name:	GS7RtY5j0dPab7bnAecJ-_GWJr6cXh-vmzweENrhPixputS0ZbE3mwSGJjTnVz-I1VX4pZ4j0Hh9X2GomgqNKrid6DgZfYkeJj0SERUSCV4clkS_sRhe6banaP-0iDibLAbi9rcQVQ=w2400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	10032223

un wrapped

Click image for larger version  Name:	IlEet4aK3glM5rvZuW3VDAuEH5zMPq1avIrxdFDorBgeOgMvkaATaRnU7EG37oQtZWSAvZ0V56iebDoJw-n7qhbeRtspGGQth3JzFJFiLaywQ0-KQH_n_r4a8bPX2stZLC9w0dcO9w=w2400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	10032224

it's going in tonight with some new hd rockers

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lti_pJTDIVRkh_FQHS_pvhcX9Z8kUWBvIDRJXmXUgrJQrnQVIzGLdgWWij1svtmGrq2UyAw6DZjT2Xk6_gDOeYDn2Uxq76yyMUVw-vLJHrr3PS0p7jB2wWzRZ_UJv-X_6J-XXesrRg=w2400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	10032225

hd on the right compared to the old one on left. the old ones were in good shapes as well. kept them. reusing the eccentrics.

back in a few days with more. busted a bolt torquing the rear main seal cover. its all good ... the busted stud was sticking out of the block and removed by hand. bolt itself must've been at fail to break so easy. hafta get that sorted. easy fix.
    Last edited by 82eye; 09-30-2021, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Hi the pics in 1st post aren't showing? or is it just me?
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        Hi the pics in 1st post aren't showing? or is it just me?
        hmmm, i'm using a google photo app to convert pics for forums. it doesn't the same work on every forum. i can see them at the moment.

Comment

Can't see pictures from the first post either, but the rest is fine.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

i'll re load them tonight. i have to try find some valve cover studs. fcp euro sent me four that are 1\4 inch too short to engage the threads on the nut when installed.

so the first two posts auto-merged, which exceeded the number of pics i could load in one post. i'm not sure how to separate them up. it's odd that i can see them.
            Last edited by 82eye; 09-30-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X