Main bearing oil hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main bearing oil hole?

I just put the main bearings to the block ( late model) and i noticed that one oil hole in the bearing does not match with the block. You can see the edge of the hole but it's a little off. THIS IS THE OIL GALLEY THAT GOES FROM THE MAIN BEARING TO THE OIL PUMP DRIVE SHAFT BEARING. There is a groove in the block under the main bearing so oil can get to the oil pump shaft.
    But should the bearing hole match?

how do you propose to change it ? the bearings are all drilled the same and the block isn't going to change ..

Comment

i would have filed the bearing hole slightly bigger, i found 1 used m20 bearing and the hole doesn't match with that either so i guess it's supposed to be that way.

Comment

Not a big deal on the mains- that groove covers you just fine.

On an engine without the grooves, yes, you open up the hole in the main shell. They're positioned such that they're in a low
        loading part of the shell.

I open up the oil holes in the crank exiting to the crank bearings a bit, too, with a die grinder. Seems to help a lot at sustained higher revs.

t
        'cause boom.
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Maximumtune30 View Post
          i would have filed the bearing hole slightly bigger, i found 1 used m20 bearing and the hole doesn't match with that either so i guess it's supposed to be that way.
          probably wouldn't hurt to do. i thought the difference would have been in the block casting. for what it's worth mine was the same, but the difference so small we never thought anything of it.

Last edited by 82eye; 10-22-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            Not a big deal on the mains- that groove covers you just fine.

On an engine without the grooves, yes, you open up the hole in the main shell. They're positioned such that they're in a low
            loading part of the shell.

thanks. good to know about the differences. have only ever seen the one type.

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            I open up the oil holes in the crank exiting to the crank bearings a bit, too, with a die grinder. Seems to help a lot at sustained higher revs.
            now that's badass and cool. would never have thought of it.

Comment

Working...
            X