Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Step by Step manual for rebuilding an M20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Step by Step manual for rebuilding an M20?

I'm getting ready to do my first every engine rebuild and probably end up turbo'ing it as well. Does this kind of manual exist? Like step by step for the entire process of tearing down and rebuilding. I know about the Bentley and Haynes manuals, is what I'm looking for in those? They manuals seem to be more of a manual for the entire car, not so much engine specific.

You're looking for the BMW TIS. it's the factory repair manual - these were sold on CDs/DVDs for a long time, I think you can still probably find them on Ebay, or maybe online somewhere.

On the older cars they were model specific, don't bother looking in the modern TIS as it doesn't have anything for older BMWs.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Remember, the TIS will probably not tell you the techniques for rebuilding the engine, just how the parts go together, and specifications. There is know how beyond the manual, so get to researching best practices.

Comment

If you want to rebuild and turbo your engine, your best bet is getting really good at Googling and watching YouTube videos. I am in the process of rebuilding mine and that's all I've been doing. These have been helpful to me:

Removing M20: https://www.garageguides.com/guide/b...-e30-m20-motor
        M20 Restoration: https://douging.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW...e-Restoration/
        Instagram
        Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
        F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
        E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
        E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
        E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

Thought of writing one. But,would it sell?

Honestly, though, the m20 really isn't far off from any other standard engine rebuilding procedures. Just like any engine, there will be some nuances such as chamber shape/clearances, cam timing etc. If you are lucky to find an old timer, they will know how to do the intermediate bearings as it was common in older engines in regards to the camshafts.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Like I stated on the bimmerforums - A Bentley can guide you - it has the basic procedures and ost of the torque specs. (Yes I know there are some errors)

You can easily get answers for any questions you have on this forum.

Comment

you dont need a full step by step manual. Bentley, YT and this forum is all you will ever need.
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
              X