Fuel Sender problem. How to test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Sender problem. How to test?

So, my fuel gauge only reads a little over half when I fill it up. I'm assuming one of the fuel senders is bad on one of the pumps.
    What is the best way to test which sending unit it is? I have a 88 325i convertible and it looks like the 2 are different. I just need to figure out which one I need to buy. Thanks!
    Last edited by Lippy; 08-05-2022, 09:24 PM.

I did some of reading wasn't able to get a definitive answer.

The two level senders work by changing the resistance as the float goes up/down with the fuel level. I think each should be 0-3 Ohms when full and either 35 or 70 Ohms when empty. Pull each out, test the resistance right side up (empty) and upside down (full). One of the floats may be stuck and just needs a cleaning to get moving again.

wedophones.com has all the wiring diagrams:

I didn't see a spec in the Bentley
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

First did it happen suddenly one day? Or was it like that when you got the car?
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        First did it happen suddenly one day? Or was it like that when you got the car?
        It was like that when I bought it in May.

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
          I did some of reading wasn't able to get a definitive answer.

The two level senders work by changing the resistance as the float goes up/down with the fuel level. I think each should be 0-3 Ohms when full and either 35 or 70 Ohms when empty. Pull each out, test the resistance right side up (empty) and upside down (full). One of the floats may be stuck and just needs a cleaning to get moving again.

wedophones.com has all the wiring diagrams:

I didn't see a spec in the Bentley
          Cool, thanks for the info.

Comment

I let this go over the summer and fall while I was still driving the car, but recently started digging into this issue again.
            My gas tank is mostly full. I tested the resistance of both senders in the tank and one was 9 ohm and the other was 9.9 ohm, which seems pretty close based on how much gas is in the tank.
            I'm not sure what to do. Maybe the senders are fine and the gauge is the problem? Thoughts?

Comment

As I recall, there are two different fuel gauges. I pinched the needle on mine when I had the cluster apart to replace the speedometer gears many years ago. Bought a fuel gauge off eBay. Ran out of gas going to work when the gauge said half a tank. Reach out to http://www.bavrest.com/index.html to see if they can provide any insight.
              2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
              X