M20 Weak spark, misfire on cyl 5 only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Weak spark, misfire on cyl 5 only

Haven’t had the car on the road as I bought it with a head gasket leak… replaced head gasket, decked head, valves adjusted, valve seals replaced, replaced all sparkplugs wires, distributor and rotor, all of that… had the car running somewhat fine until I magically now am getting a misfire on cyl. 5, already swapped injectors, checked compression, checked and changed spark plug, swapped coil wires, thing still doesn’t hesitate when I remove coil wire from cylinder. Makes no sense at all as I’ve replaced a lot

Eyes raised on the CPS or coil itself but it should be misfiring on all if it was the coil… I don’t know what else it is as the head is fine and compression is good, any ideas lmk, maybe CPS?

Have you checked the wiring to the injector on #5? Agree, strange symptoms.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Coolant getting into cylinder? Pressure test?

Comment

what colour is the plug on number 5? is it fouling compared to the others?
        Boris - 89 E30 325i
        84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
          Have you checked the wiring to the injector on #5? Agree, strange symptoms.
          Yup, checked ground and and positive continuity, no wires internally messed, like I’ve checked everything and this is making no sense lol…

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
            what colour is the plug on number 5? is it fouling compared to the others?
            The old plug I pulled was completely black, electrode and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
              Coolant getting into cylinder? Pressure test?
              Yup, compression test was 120, still got decent compression.

Comment

Originally posted by schlafr View Post

Yup, compression test was 120, still got decent compression.
                I was meaning a cooling system pressure test.

Comment

Wont be an injector wiring issue unless youre unlucky enough to have a busted ev1 connector. These cars have a common power for all the injectors and the injectors fire off in pairs. So it would be two not getting a signal not just one.

If you've got a black plug then you're getting fuel. If you've swapped injectors you can eliminate a badly atomising injector.

I feel this will be either a bad lead, a badly seated/burnt valve or you have water being dragged in under the headgasket. If you have tried NEW leads on it and you've swapped round the lead with number 6 but the issue stays in pot 5 then you can eliminate an ignition issue providing youre 100 percent the contact inside your dizzy cap isn't worn way worse than the others on no5.

When you do your compression test are you testing each cylinder exactly the same and not having to crank one more than the others to get the same pressure? Tbh 120psi isnt fantastic anyway but so long as they all take the same time to crank roundabouts the same pressure thats all that matters.

Does it ping or did it ping? Did you flatten the block and check with a straight edge across the bores before putting the head on?
                  Boris - 89 E30 325i
                  84- E30 323i

Comment

I have seen M20 engines carbon up bad enough to cause a serious lack of power. I agree that 120 PSI is starting to get on the low side. BTW: are you using copper NGK or Bosch spark plugs? I would stick to copper unless you are willing to experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
                      Wont be an injector wiring issue unless youre unlucky enough to have a busted ev1 connector. These cars have a common power for all the injectors and the injectors fire off in pairs. So it would be two not getting a signal not just one.

If you've got a black plug then you're getting fuel. If you've swapped injectors you can eliminate a badly atomising injector.

I feel this will be either a bad lead, a badly seated/burnt valve or you have water being dragged in under the headgasket. If you have tried NEW leads on it and you've swapped round the lead with number 6 but the issue stays in pot 5 then you can eliminate an ignition issue providing youre 100 percent the contact inside your dizzy cap isn't worn way worse than the others on no5.

When you do your compression test are you testing each cylinder exactly the same and not having to crank one more than the others to get the same pressure? Tbh 120psi isnt fantastic anyway but so long as they all take the same time to crank roundabouts the same pressure thats all that matters.

Does it ping or did it ping? Did you flatten the block and check with a straight edge across the bores before putting the head on?
                      I got black plugs for all cylinders, suspicions on FPR or block warped, lost cause lol, tried everything, it still pings but absolutely no change disconnecting good wire

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                        i have seen m20 engines carbon up bad enough to cause a serious lack of power. I agree that 120 psi is starting to get on the low side. Btw: Are you using copper ngk or bosch spark plugs? I would stick to copper unless you are willing to experiment.
                        ngk

Comment

I am confused as to the symptoms. how did you verify weak spark on #5? is that what you meant? now all plugs are black?
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

So all plugs are fouled?? First you'll need to ensure your TPS is adjusted correctly, test your ecu temp sensor isnt faulty, ensure your ignition timing, gaps and spark plug heat range is correct.

Low fuel pressure could cause the fouling, does it buck and surge when you put your boot into it? Drop power around RH Corners?

Boris - 89 E30 325i
                            84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                              I am confused as to the symptoms. how did you verify weak spark on #5? is that what you meant? now all plugs are black?
                              I thought it was weak spark but it seems to be u known lmfao, it sparks but literally doesn’t fire, pull the coil wire and no difference, swapped injectors everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X