Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ETA Head swap question

Hello everyone..

I have been researching the 885 head swaps onto the 2.7 bottom ends and recently came across someone selling this:

"This is a BMW E30 cylinder head from the B27 2.7L eta motor. It has been cleaned, machined, ported and polished, for better airflow. It has new valve guides and it has been modified to use the larger valves from from the B25 2.5L engine. So its now takes the 42mm intake and the 36mm exhaust valves."

Is there any benefit in running this head vs a complete 885 head?

Thanks in advance.

Freddy

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	134
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	10095703Click image for larger version

Views:	101
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	10095704Click image for larger version

Views:	100
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	10095705Click image for larger version

Views:	103
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	10095706​​​​
    sigpic
    1988 E30 M3
    Diamantschwarz/Black

That's good for getting more performance out of a 2.7 ETA engine without lowering the compression, that's it. The ports are still smaller than an 885 head so it likely doesn't flow as well. Also, has the head been modified to accommodate a 325i cam? If not, then you won't get much from running larger valves with the same ETA cam.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      That's good for getting more performance out of a 2.7 ETA engine without lowering the compression, that's it. The ports are still smaller than an 885 head so it likely doesn't flow as well. Also, has the head been modified to accommodate a 325i cam? If not, then you won't get much from running larger valves with the same ETA cam.
      According to the seller it was machined to accept a 325i cam.

Also he says: The piston to valve clearance issues that may crop up will be your to figure out. I think people are doing that mod with no issues.
      sigpic
      1988 E30 M3
      Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

It sounds like you want to deviate from the standard 885 head swap for some reason. Perhaps its price of the 2.7 head? The 885 Head swap onto a 2.7 block is tried and true so why not just go that route? Whats the motivation?

Comment

Sounds silly indeed but it's mainly because I would like to keep the. Engine numbers matching to my chassis as the car only has 86k..

This is also just a bonus build while I complete my s50 build on the side...
          sigpic
          1988 E30 M3
          Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

It depends how good the work was as you could make it superior to a stock 885 but would require a lot of material removal and reshaping
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by Shadye30 View Post
              Sounds silly indeed but it's mainly because I would like to keep the. Engine numbers matching to my chassis as the car only has 86k..

This is also just a bonus build while I complete my s50 build on the side...
              the numbers matching won't mean a thing if you install the s50. being it's an eta it won't mean a bunch even with the original motor, unless it's an es with the super eta.

Comment

Working...
              X