No announcement yet.

Aux fan works when jumped, changed switch and still nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reelizmpro hozzziii Not sure how this can be, but I cut the low speed resistor out and jumped it (changed the fuse to a 30 amp) and fan kicks on perfectly with the AC button. Who knows...now for the fun part I seem to have a fan by the brand name "power motion" and it has a "power motion" resistor that looks similar to the Magna one, but not identical. I cant seem to find anything by the brand name power motion. Have you ever heard of it? Should the stock resistor work? Thank you so much for the help!!

Comment

Originally posted by snowfox View Post
      reelizmpro hozzziii Not sure how this can be, but I cut the low speed resistor out and jumped it (changed the fuse to a 30 amp) and fan kicks on perfectly with the AC button. Who knows...now for the fun part I seem to have a fan by the brand name "power motion" and it has a "power motion" resistor that looks similar to the Magna one, but not identical. I cant seem to find anything by the brand name power motion. Have you ever heard of it? Should the stock resistor work? Thank you so much for the help!!
      I've never heard of it. What is the resistance of the resistor?
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

reelizmpro I’m not able to get a resistance reading on my multimeter. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	10096939
        Attached Files

Comment

I had thought about changing out the rating on the wire wound resistor to change my fan speed for my m30 swapped car. I didn't want it to run max speeds all the time because it was too loud and the low speed was not enough to keep my AC cool at stop lights. Factory replacement "Magna" resistor(ACM) is about $20... but about $10 on amazon for a no name brand. The resistor rating is 85w - 0.5 ohm.
          Last edited by uturn; 06-15-2023, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah this doesn't make sense. You were able to get it jump started in both low and high speed.
            Like, we know that the low speed relay and resistor should be ok.
            My brain is no longer braining.

Originally posted by uturn View Post
            I had thought about changing out the rating on the wire wound resistor to change my fan speed for my m30 swapped car. I didn't want it to run max speeds all the time because it was too loud and the low speed was not enough to keep my AC cool at stop lights. Factory replacement "Magna" resistor(ACM) is about $20... but about $10 on amazon for a no name brand. The resistor rating is 85w - 0.5 ohm.
            If you do change the rating you have to swap the 15A fuse for the low speed too.

Comment

reelizmpro hozzziii ok, so new resistor arrived although the wire is a little thinner at 2.5 mm vs the wiring in the car that appears to be 4 mm. I used alligator clips to test the resistor and worked like a charm. However the resistor after maybe 30 seconds of run time was very hot. Is this normal? Can you guys let me know if yours gets very hot?

Comment

Yes that is how it's designed to work. Resistors resist the current that's trying going through the wire and that's why you get low speed cuz there's less current going through.
                However in doing so, the do absorb some energy and get hot, and they need to get cool otherwise it could melt and now you have now resistor.
                That's why the resistor has these fins on it that help keep it cool. That's fine for the environment it's in, it's just in front of the car, getting airflow. You're good.
                Now put it all together and see if you get the fan on with the ac button.

I'm still not convinced it was the resistor though, but let's see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  Don't assume that. Jumping the connector with a wire is different than 30 year old female terminals mating to male terminals. I've bought numerous switches because I assumed that and eventually had to replace those female terminals. I'm guessing they open up over time and fail to make proper contact plus corrode.
                  This happened to me, the auxiliary fan came on when jumping from the radiator switch but wouldn’t reliably turn on when plugged in and the AC switch turned on. The female water tight terminals on the body harness were too loosely mating with the male connectors on the fan harness plug housing. Cutting out the old terminals and soldering in new finally fixed the issue. It was either 61130007442 or 61130007446 snap in receptacles.

Last edited by ghrays; 07-03-2023, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X