Lower oil pan gasket, double up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower oil pan gasket, double up?

I just got a bung welded on my lower oil pan for my turbo drain line. The guy that welded it mentioned where he welded may have shrunk the metal a little and thus pulled the lip down a fraction. He said guys run 2 of the cork gaskets or put some extra RTV in that spot. I should be ok with some extra anaerobic sealer right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	128
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	10096814
    '90 325is

I would put a straight edge on it and measure the gap to be filled and then make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
      I would put a straight edge on it and measure the gap to be filled and then make a decision.
      Thanks it looks tiny enough to use sealant. Doesn't make sense to double up the gaskets when the rest of the pan is straight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230614_153956.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	10096834
      '90 325is

Comment

I would never double gasket it’s asking for trouble. Use a suitable sealant.
        Just do some research to find one that’s compatible with Aluminium and cast iron (active metals) has resistance to fuel etc not just oil. Don’t just use your average auto shop sealant as you may not get maximum longevity
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

yep big no no using two gaskets. Sealant def the go here or even aluminum epoxy and block it down level again with a cork gasket to finish.
          Boris - 89 E30 325i
          84- E30 323i

Comment

Copper silicone holds up well even under exhaust heat, but there could be something better out there.

Comment

Working...
            X