No announcement yet.

The Dreaded Mid to High RPM Cutout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sound identical to an issue I ran into after my m20 stroker swap. Mine would cut out around 5k and then buck and eventually pull to 7. Chased it down for a few months and swapped many of the same parts.

One possibility I thought of and read about but never tried was the engine wiring harness. I recall reading a thread somewhere that described a similar issue and putting a new harness in resolved it. For example, it could be possible that a wire is partially broken somewhere so that the effective diameter is smaller and while it has continuity it has limited load carrying capability.

I ended up swapping to ms2 and the issue never occurred with that. I wanted to go ITBs eventually anyways so it was an excuse to start moving in that direction. Best of luck to you on this one. Hate how hard some of these gremlins can be.

Comment

Originally posted by sert57 View Post
      This sound identical to an issue I ran into after my m20 stroker swap. Mine would cut out around 5k and then buck and eventually pull to 7. Chased it down for a few months and swapped many of the same parts.

One possibility I thought of and read about but never tried was the engine wiring harness. I recall reading a thread somewhere that described a similar issue and putting a new harness in resolved it. For example, it could be possible that a wire is partially broken somewhere so that the effective diameter is smaller and while it has continuity it has limited load carrying capability.

I ended up swapping to ms2 and the issue never occurred with that. I wanted to go ITBs eventually anyways so it was an excuse to start moving in that direction. Best of luck to you on this one. Hate how hard some of these gremlins can be.
      I wanted to go ITB as well for a long time(still want a ITB car). Decided to go turbo last year(bang for my buck). I was going full standalone anyway so like you this is an excuse to pull the trigger. Hopefully my issue is resolved with this swap. I've read where others that were having similar issues swapping to a standalone helped them out as well. I wouldn't mind a new harness, but I don't think you can get them anymore.
      I appreciate your insight.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

So today I installed my individual coil pack setup and new ECU from Classic Daily. A few things need to be adjusted in the tune. But the car now is night and day from what it was. It runs so much smoother. Zero hicupps/bucking at high rpm. It starts way better than it used to.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20240225_120738.jpg Views:	0 Size:	271.3 KB ID:	10115084

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

Nice that's great!
          How does the crank signal look in the trigger log?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
            Nice that's great!
            How does the crank signal look in the trigger log?
            I haven't really looked yet.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

Took the car out again today. Took it all the way to redline. No bucking, no gauge needles jumping, no misfiring. I feels great to have this car back and running without issues.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

I wouldn't run it hard on a base map. Depending on who did the tuning it could be close, or way off and risking the engine.

Did you set base timing with a timing light? Should be first step with a standalone.

Comment

Awesome to hear it is running well!!

I did the tune and it is VERY close after doing lots of these on the same ecu and also very conservative on timing. But still will need some tweeks I am sure as every engine is a tad different.
                  www.classicdaily.net
                  1970 m42 swapped 2002
                  1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
                  https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
                    I did the tune and it is VERY close after doing lots of these on the same ecu and also very conservative on timing. But still will need some tweeks I am sure as every engine is a tad different.
                    Nice. Good to hear that timing isn't too aggressive.
                    Lot of canned tunes hinge on good fuel quality, which IMO is only okay if you have knock sensors and can dynamically pull timing like the original ECU.

Do you have instructions for the end user to set base timing during the ECU install?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                      Nice. Good to hear that timing isn't too aggressive.
                      Lot of canned tunes hinge on good fuel quality, which IMO is only okay if you have knock sensors and can dynamically pull timing like the original ECU.

Do you have instructions for the end user to set base timing during the ECU install?
                      It's easier to email him from his website. That's how I talk with him mostly

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

Working...
                      X