How to remove throttle body heater.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove throttle body heater.

How do i go about doing this? Do i just remove both hoses and block off where they came from? Im putting another motor in my eta and want to simplify some of the hose web. The throttle body heater isint really necessary around where i live anyway. Thanks gents
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Get a barb from home depot or a car parts store and join the two hoses together with the hose clamps that were on the throttle body. Go ahead and trim the hoses to whatever length you need if you wish... Like if you want to hide it down underneath the intake manifold or something.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
      Get a barb from home depot or a car parts store and join the two hoses together with the hose clamps that were on the throttle body. Go ahead and trim the hoses to whatever length you need if you wish... Like if you want to hide it down underneath the intake manifold or something.
      Alrighty. I cant just remove both and block them off though? Or maybe just use one single hose?
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
        Alrighty. I cant just remove both and block them off though? Or maybe just use one single hose?
        don't block them off, no

you could use one hose if you wanted, its just easier the other way
        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

I blocked it with the proper screw/washer. Then I re-did the plumbing and removed all that wasn't necessary. (you can see the screw in the upper right of the picture)
          Attached Files

Comment

removed all this crap.
            Attached Files

Comment

lookin good, what is the purpose of heating the throttle body anyways, doesnt hot air somewhat hurt the car?

Comment

The purpose of the throttle body heater is to prevent the throttle plate from freezing in cold wet weather. That may sound far fetched, but I've experienced it in two different cars (neither were BMW's). It can get exciting when you lift off the accelerator and nothing happens...

Since the cooling system would normally have coolant flowing through the TB hoses, I think it best loop the hoses if you eliminate the TB heater. The opposite is true of the heater and those hoses should be blocked off if you delete the heater.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

IMO Less hoses/hose clamps=less place for a failure.

Comment

Trying to beat BMW's engineering Josh? Been hanging out with your dumbass neighbor too much again.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                      The purpose of the throttle body heater is to prevent the throttle plate from freezing in cold wet weather. That may sound far fetched, but I've experienced it in two different cars (neither were BMW's). It can get exciting when you lift off the accelerator and nothing happens...

Since the cooling system would normally have coolant flowing through the TB hoses, I think it best loop the hoses if you eliminate the TB heater. The opposite is true of the heater and those hoses should be blocked off if you delete the heater.
                      So you're saying in the case of a throttle body heater delete you should run a line from the thermostat housing to the block, simply bypassing the throttle body, but in the case of a heater core delete you should plug the outlets in the thermostat housing and head where the lines were previously?
                      Last edited by dandrewg; 11-11-2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

ok so whats the consensus. is it better to:

A) bypass (run a hose from thermostat housing to the connector on the block) or

B) block off with plugs/caps.

?

- block off is cleaner/ simpler engine bay
                        - bypassed might allow a path for coolant to return back into pump without passing though radiator? (no worse than stock of course and it is only a small hole)
                        -any foreseeable issues with blocking it off?
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I run a bypass, but if someone can explain why blocking it is ok I would prefer that route.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

im running bypass to but i want to block it, not heard a reason for not blocking it yet
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

We have been blocking them on the race cars for some time with no ill effect - plate on the back of the head and weld the port closed on the t-stat housing. Some of the m30's came with no port at the back of the head.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                              X