M20 Baffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure you have enough fixings ?
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

So, you copied a design, joined a forum and are selling at 1/3rd the price of a repuatble dealer after 9 posts. Good on you for making your own, not sure about the piracy aspect.

Now after my "old crabby man" attitude, GLWS.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        So, you copied a design, joined a forum and are selling at 1/3rd the price of a repuatble dealer after 9 posts. Good on you for making your own, not sure about the piracy aspect.

Now after my "old crabby man" attitude, GLWS.

I work as a professional machinist. If someone had walked into my shop and asked for me to make this part, that's what I would have charged them (in reality probably five times that as our shop rate is $100/hour). I was making a couple for myself and had a metric F ton of extra material so I decided to make a bunch. The design was made for free use by the creator and that's why I specifically priced them at what he thought was reasonable. If someone wants a baffle made, but can't find a sign shop locally that will do it for $15 (like all of them around here for some reason), then they can get the same deal through me. The profit margin here for me is actually quite small; and that's assuming I sold every single one for $15. I don't think the creator would have a problem with what I'm doing. The main point of me doing this was to help ya'll out. I don't plan on making more of these in the future. So yes, I joined the forums to become an active member of the E30 community.
        The beatings will continue until morale improves

Comment

Ah ok, my bad. Andrew, a member here originally posted that design when he was working at IE. Yes, $15 is very cheap to make just one. I programmed a g-code machine for a buddy's shop long time and would make small batches of whatever I was working on on the side. Usually just ran a full bar of whatever material and sell to friends. Ended up getting the machine cheap after he had a few issues with the NC power supply (random shut down mid-program). Since it's an ancient 1981 FANUC system 6m with DC motors, there's not a lot of diagnostics for it, and literature is hard to come by. Have it mostly restored in the cabinets, reflowed all the boards, replaced caps etc. Still have a "ready gate fault", but have a feeling one of the limit switches are stuck as it sat for several years without running. Ran fine when last turned off.

Excuse my rudeness.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Ah ok, my bad. Andrew, a member here originally posted that design when he was working at IE. Yes, $15 is very cheap to make just one. I programmed a g-code machine for a buddy's shop long time and would make small batches of whatever I was working on on the side. Usually just ran a full bar of whatever material and sell to friends. Ended up getting the machine cheap after he had a few issues with the NC power supply (random shut down mid-program). Since it's an ancient 1981 FANUC system 6m with DC motors, there's not a lot of diagnostics for it, and literature is hard to come by. Have it mostly restored in the cabinets, reflowed all the boards, replaced caps etc. Still have a "ready gate fault", but have a feeling one of the limit switches are stuck as it sat for several years without running. Ran fine when last turned off.

Excuse my rudeness.

No problem, now we can hijack the thread and talk machining.

Yeah, it's interesting how people are surprised by how much a custom machined part will cost to make. But when you consider the price of programming, running and inspecting...it adds up quick. Even more so if instead of prints they only have ideas on napkins.

That's really cool, I hope you can get that thing running again so you can make some chips! The oldest CNC machine I've ever used is a mid 90's Haas VF-OE. Mostly I remember how slow it was. 10HP, 7.5K spindle won't exactly turn heads, but I made a lot of good parts with that thing. I'm working with some new Haas VF-3 SSYT machines now and they're pretty bloody fast.

Comment

laser cut in bulk is cheap
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                laser cut in bulk is cheap

Unfortunately I don't have access to one.

Comment

Originally posted by THE DUDE ABIDES View Post
                  No problem, now we can hijack the thread and talk machining.

Yeah, it's interesting how people are surprised by how much a custom machined part will cost to make. But when you consider the price of programming, running and inspecting...it adds up quick. Even more so if instead of prints they only have ideas on napkins.

That's really cool, I hope you can get that thing running again so you can make some chips! The oldest CNC machine I've ever used is a mid 90's Haas VF-OE. Mostly I remember how slow it was. 10HP, 7.5K spindle won't exactly turn heads, but I made a lot of good parts with that thing. I'm working with some new Haas VF-3 SSYT machines now and they're pretty bloody fast.

Machine builder is Kitamura, MyCenter 2 model. It has 19kb of bubble memory, 6hp spindle, 5k max, open bed, 17 tool magazine, live tapping etc.

Made a thread about it when I picked it up...

I cut my teeth on it. Never worked on an NC, never did any CAD/CAM, but within a couple months, I got the laptop taking to it and was designing/cutting parts. Learnt all about speeds/feeds, thread pitches, etc.

It's has solid hardware. The ways are not dove tail like a Bridgeport, they are square. It weighs ~10k lbs (the machine that replaced it was a 1998 Mycenter2 and weighs ~6k with a closed bed and 24 tool magazine o.0).

Just sucks trying to find parts and manuals for it since DC motors were phased out in the mid 80's - BUT - it's nice that it has 90% full size electronic components, and about 40-ish proprietary IC's.

Have a little fund set aside to have a company come in and work on it, but all the techs that know these old things are in the mid west. Paying the $120-150/hr fopr the service isn't the tough part, it's the fact that all travel expenses have to be paid on top too. :(
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

What's the latest and greatest in oil pump baffling these days with stock pan? not referring to scrapers or windage trays but the gubbins that go around the pump to try and keep the pickup submerged.

There seems to be 3 types the IE, Vac and AAF with latter two (2) being similar. Are the latter actually worth it? i must admit i don't see much difference except between the addition of flap but havent seen the closeness of fitment of new baffles to the bottom of pan etc

Comment

I can't answer to your question but I personally feel that all these regular baffles do not work alone. When you turn left, oil escapes anyway unless there is additional baffling in form of scraper. Or if the pump is surrounded by a kind of capsule with trap doors or similar (which you meant I assume).

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
                        I can't answer to your question but I personally feel that all these regular baffles do not work alone. When you turn left, oil escapes anyway unless there is additional baffling in form of scraper. Or if the pump is surrounded by a kind of capsule with trap doors or similar (which you meant I assume).

What i mean is the stock sump has the same vertical baffle as shown above (without the hinge trapdoor) The trap doored vertical baffles dont seem to do anything more than the regular vertical baffles except they may let slightly more oil into the central volume than the gap around the stock baffle but this is not the problem that we are trying to solve. We are trying to stop the oil moving away from the pickup a solid baffle works just as well as trap doored one.

I've seen some that have the additional transverse baffle e.g. the one sold by bimmerworld which would provide a bit of benefit but again the actual trap door aspect seem almost redundant unless the baffles are fully welded to the bottom and sides of pan which they do not seem to be

Comment

I initially ran just the VAC baffle and happened to notice while watching in-car video post-race that oil pressure went close to zero in Thunderhill turn 2.

I dropped the oil pan and (after replacing all rod bearings, though they turned out not to be that bad) installed an IE crank scraper with the "fingers" cut off so it acted solely like a "lower-block baffle." After that, oil pressure never dropped below 20psi on any track.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            unless the baffles are fully welded to the bottom and sides of pan which they do not seem to be
                            The VAC baffle welds in, but you're right, not fully. But I think you're assuming that 95% impediment is as worthless as 0% impediment, and that only 100% impediment works.

But your overarching concern that a pan baffle alone isn't sufficient, AFAIAC, is well placed.

Comment

Originally posted by thesalboy View Post
                              I initially ran just the VAC baffle and happened to notice while watching in-car video post-race that oil pressure went close to zero in Thunderhill turn 2.

I dropped the oil pan and (after replacing all rod bearings, though they turned out not to be that bad) installed an IE crank scraper with the "fingers" cut off so it acted solely like a "lower-block baffle." After that, oil pressure never dropped below 20psi on any track.
                              Yeah I can see the VAC one behaving fundamentally like stock i.e. not solving any problems

i already have a bastardised crank scraper / windage tray combo for mine

Comment

Working...
                              X