No announcement yet.

89is wont start $50 to the person who figures it out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The engine needs spark, fuel and oxygen to start. Sounds like you have spark, and fuel pressure while cranking so either the fuel is blocked somewhere or the engine is not getting any oxygen. Since you didn't mess with the fuel since it was working properly and only adjusted valves and intake gasket, my guess is related to oxygen. Bad o2 sensors or blocked intake somehow, possible the throttle stuck shut.

Comment

AFM. Check the electrical signals at the DME.
      Also verify other inputs.

Let me know if you have more questions. PM me. I've performed all of these checks.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

another
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Did you replace the crank position sensor? Mine went bad once, acted like yours--

Comment

update update

sooo who here that posted got the right anwser so far to win the $50 bucks???

Comment

No right answer yet!

The CPS has not been replaced but has been checked at 540 ohms. Just got the fuel filter and it will go in today. If that doesn't work i will start doing the electrical testing above.

Mike

Comment

If the CPS was bad, the fuel pump wouldn't be working. The fuel pump gets signal to turn on from the DME when it sees a rotating engine (from the CPS). My guess is that your injectors aren't firing, possibly due to a bad connection at C191 (under the intake manifold).

Comment

Check your starter. It might be seizing. dead cell in your battery. make sure everything is connected. Might have had a leak.. take off the valve cover and inspect it. check your fuel pump to make sure it is working properly. Try hitting your gas tank a few times to knock it back into position if thats the case. What exactly is the car doing when you turn the ignition? Is it making any cranking noises? Do you have power? When you give it gas when its off do you smell gas?

Edit: You may have also fried one of your wires under the hood for all you know. So trace all the electrical wires and make sure none of them are burned or anything.
                  Basaltblau 318i (Sold) Dammit do I miss these cars... Someone sell me one!

2011 VW GTI 6 speed

Comment

A bad valve cover gasket is a vacuum leak and could be your problem. Did you replace the gasket?
                    Do a compression test.
                    Turn your key on and make your your idle control valve is whining because it won't idle right and possibly not start without it.
                    Hold gas to the floor and try to start.

Comment

Are you the GrimmSpeed from http://www.thefspec.com/2012/04/18/the-perfect-ten/ ???

Comment

Use the FAST method.
                        Fuel - do you have fuel? Pull the spark plugs after cranking and see if they're wet
                        Air - I assume you have air?
                        Spark - pull a spark plug while some cranks it over and verify you have spark. Ground the electrode to the engine block.
                        Timing - you already said you have timing.

On your car, if you are not getting fuel, it can be because of two reasons:
                        1) The DME is not getting an RPM signal (from crank sensor) or is otherwise FUBAR
                        2) The fuse to the injectors is bad

If you ARE getting fuel, that rules out the crank sensor. For spark, I believe the DME also needs a valid RPM signal and the coil/cap/rotor need to be good as well. Besides the above method of manually checking for spark, another method to rule out spark, timing, and air at the same time is to spray starting fluid in the intake. If it sputters or comes to life on starting fluid, you know it's a fuel problem. If it doesn't... start looking really carefully at the ignition system.
                        1997 540i/6 - stock
                        1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                        1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
                          The engine needs spark, fuel and oxygen to start. Sounds like you have spark, and fuel pressure while cranking so either the fuel is blocked somewhere or the engine is not getting any oxygen. Since you didn't mess with the fuel since it was working properly and only adjusted valves and intake gasket, my guess is related to oxygen. Bad o2 sensors or blocked intake somehow, possible the throttle stuck shut.
                          O2 sensors will not cause a no start condition. They are only active in closed loop operation which occurs well after the car starts.
                          1997 540i/6 - stock
                          1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                          1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

just buy a new Crank sensor and replace it!

and then you can pay me 50bucks
                            sigpic
                            E30love

Comment

I'd say its highly likely there is an issue with the wiring of the new engine in the car. Someone probably mixed up a wire or two.

Sit in the car and test your signals going into the DME and you will find the issue and troubleshoot from there. If you find all your signals to be correct, the DME is at fault but you swapped it already so there has got to be a mismatch in the electrical troubleshooting chart that I posted above.
                              www.BavRest.com
                              My Feedback Thread
                              Our Facebook!
                              Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Check your injectors. They can be dumping too much or too little. They could also not be getting any signal at all. Check what harness it has. If it's the eta, look for an extra or loose connection or plugs near the injector harness.
                                eta harness will NOT work on an iS! etas need two crank snesors and a cold start injector.

Let me know how this works.

Comment

Working...
                                X