No announcement yet.

What can cause this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay here is a pic. I know there shouldn't be any washers..

And Shane thanks for the help man!

Comment

So yesterday I put the original starter back in with no washers. I made sure to hold it straight while tightening the nuts. It didn't grind.. only rubbed. Which is good

However I either hooked up the solenoid wrong or something because it will not disengage when I start the car

Comment

Good luck figuring it out, sounds like a pain.

Comment

Yeah it is.. ugh

I believe it is rubbing now because the flywheel had gotten a little chewed up.

Comment

You mave have a bad starter. Take it out and bench test it
            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
            The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Both starters had bench tested fine. I will try again though

Comment

Just took mine off. The correct order is: flywheel, spacer, triangle thing. The flywheel is concave and should be mounted in the direction to push the starter ring away from the engine.

Comment

Also, on the flywheel, the side with the teeth cut straight should be on the starter side. The side with the tapered teeth should be facing away from the starter.
                  As previously stated im thinking you may have your flywheel backwards.

Comment

Thats weird that the tapered teeth point away from the engine... wtf

Comment

$hane.. can you take pictures??

Comment

According to the bentley the "beveled edge of the gear should face the engine"

Comment

This was facing the transmission.

This was facing the starter.

If your flywheel is all chewed up you can have this one if you pay shipping.

Comment

Weird, I believe the beveled edge faces the starter because it makes it easier for the starter gear to pull in and out of the flywheel when starting

Well looks I am dropping my transmission, cant be too hard

Comment

Yah that makes sense. Especially if thats how the bentley says it goes on. This is how mine came off though and it had no grinding, spacers, ect. I dropped my auto by myself in about 2 hours. It wasnt too bad.
                              Protip: wrap some electrical tape around your flex extention to stiffin it up. I couldnt get it on the top bolt until i did that.

Comment

Is your flywheel for sale? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X