272 cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The humjet, e30leigh.

How does it feel to you? Seems like a very small difference.
    Last edited by LowR3V'in; 04-30-2012, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
      Unfortunately the 885 head doesn't flow nearly as well as a hotter cam would like it to, the gains will be minimal.
      this is totally untrue. The 885 responds very well to cam upgrades, if anything it comes undercammed given the size and flow potential of the stock ports. It runs into problems with lift over about 11mm, but lift is only part of the equation. and there are mods you can do to make it flow well up to 12+mm of lift.

I would definitely not agree with "274 or bust" either. You can use the more aggressive grinds, but to have an acceptable idle quality means ditching the stock electronics entirely. It also means your static compression ratio must make sense - you wouldn't want to run a schrick 304 with the stock 8.8:1 CR (even assuming the valves didn't smash into the pistons).

also - no, you don't *need* an adjustable cam gear. but, it's a wise investment if you want to get the most out of your cam. you can basically adjust the powerband how you like it - either more peak HP, or more midrange torque. I went for midrange since it's nicer to drive on the street.
      Last edited by nando; 04-30-2012, 05:31 AM.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
        The humjet, e30leigh.

How does it feel to you? Seems like a very small difference.
        the "seat of the pants" gain isnt huge. infact the whole gain isnt huge. the main gain is in the midrange. your not going to really notice that a whole lot by the seat of your pants. theres a few HP for sure in there how much i cant say. it depends on the motor. no two are the same. if they are just slap dash and driven then your missing the main gains. intake, exhaust, retune are needed to get the most of out them. now that your driving on the cams without those done the added gain will again feel slight once they are done. but rest assured your getting gains.

as well as the main gain of midrange. it will also push your peak power up too. a dyno is where you need to see it. before and after runs. if you have that kind of access... like i do :P the joys of a bmw workshop with a dedicated dyno tuning section :P woot.

Comment

thanks guys shit this was really useful. im thinking about a regrind since i.e is out of stock but i have a doubts about regrinds:/....... but this is me talking. id go for more midrange if i get an adjustable cam gear. aslong as high end isnt affected:)

Comment

Working...
          X